Kickstarter projects

Coding under coconut trees is super dangerous! Serioulsy.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s quite sure, but Ron said that itā€™s too early to do a sale.

About having a catalog of more games, I agree with you, for a very specific reason: if this kind of product physiologically generates a steady but low stream of income, the only way you can get the money to pay the bills is to have more products at the same time in the market. Each of them will not provide much income but if you add them all, you can get a monthly ā€œguaranteedā€ sum of money. The issue of course is that building a catalog of games requires time and money.

1 Like

Did you see the development of the new engine as an invest for the future, so the next game wonā€™t need as much time as TP? And would it be an option to license the engine to other developers like the Visionaire Studio Engine?

4 Likes

I totally agree that itā€™s too early for a sale.

In terms of a steady stream of income, you might be right as well. Hopefully, the tail Ron mentioned in the last podcast will be very long.
Nonetheless, I also think that every good game is an advertisement for other games from the respective company. In MI, the ā€˜Ask me about Loomā€™ guy is an extreme example for what I mean by this.
In TWP, there is no corporate logo yet, but, it may become useful to add one, when another game is in the making.

Yes thatā€™s true. The costs are higher in that case. But as you have said: They should be able to do an adventure with 3.3 million. Especially because they hadnā€™t made any promises (about the graphics and the length).

I didnā€™t and donā€™t do that. I have the greatest respect for all game developers and I have a heart for indie developers. I know how hard it is to develop a game. And I support developers in many ways.

And thatā€™s the point: If they donā€™t get the money, they canā€™t make the game this way. But some projects tried it anyway and failed.

Yes, I know that. And that is very sad.

Ah, fine smelling insults on a warm summer night ā€¦

Do you have a source for that?

Yes, the graphics are more ā€œcomplexā€. But again: I donā€™t know for what the money was spent for. I only know that you can make a similar adventure game for 3,3 million US dollar. Trust me.

Yes and no: The backers canā€™t estimate how much the multiplayer part would cost. So they have to believe what the developers said/wrote.

I donā€™t agree with that. If you write: ā€œWe need 2,5 yearsā€ in the Kickstarter description no one would be upset. The backers are getting upset if you cut the promised multiplayer or if you suddenly need 10 years for the development. If you communicate changes or delays, the backers wonā€™t pitchfork you.

Exactly. Itā€™s Timā€™s game and he can choose its art style and length however he want (ā€¦and can afford).

It was colder when I wrote that, itā€™s your fault waiting for a warm day :stuck_out_tongue:

I donā€™t have any hard numbers, but did you watch any of the documentary? Do you know how much work just one cutscene is for example? You donā€™t even have to animate a bunch of characters, there are also visual effects and lip synching etc. This all takes time=money multiplied by people involved.

But again: I donā€™t know for what the money was spent for.

Well you accused them of the following:

But DFA had spend theses profits for the non working management or what-do-I-know-a-whoo.

Do you think Tim and Greg were using all the money to purchase and eat food or something? :rage:

I only know that you can make a similar adventure game for 3,3 million US dollar. Trust me.

I trust them. They are professionals. I doubt you can get such similar game done for less and in similar quality.
Just take ONE look at the credits, e.g. at MobyGames
Do you think they all work for free or next to nothing?

Also yes and no:
Consumers should inform themselves. Of course you canā€™t blame them for everything, but often when people buy snake oil itā€™s their very own fault.

I agree.
Even if you mess quite some stuff up: When keeping backers informed most of them wonā€™t get the pitchforks out.

Iā€™d probably pay to use Ronā€™s engine.

1 Like

Rather than Visionarie, for sure!

What makes Ronā€™s engine great (for him, and therefore for us), is that itā€™s entirely his. He can make whatever tweaks and mods he wants to it, fix bugs that crop up and not work around them. It works great for him and his team. But Iā€™m not sure how effective a choice it would be for someone else. It would be nice, of course, to get the style we all like from TWP, but there are other good adventure game engines out there, noteable AGS, with lots of support and built with a wide audience in mind.

The problem with other engines is that they arenā€™t directed at programmers. I am a professional software developer, and having to deal with a pre-set software, albeit with a scripting language, is frustrating. So, I created my own engine. Itā€™s shitty, but itā€™s mine.

But the thing is, itā€™s not a software, itā€™s a library. Thatā€™s why Iā€™d find Ronā€™s engine way more interesting. Itā€™s not an application you start, play around with and then click a button to obtain a game. Itā€™s code, code and code you have to build yourself.

Last time I have programmed with AGS to create my own adventure game, it was in 2006. I was facing several issues due to limitations. So my friend and I passed to Visionaire. Itā€™s more professional, but still itā€™s not so powerful like old SCUMM or the game engine used for TWP.
My adventure game was left unfinished.
Characters and story were good, even with voicesā€¦ but unfortunately it was never released in its full version.

You can take a look here
Click on downloads and get the demo.

6 Likes

Hey, your game looks very similar to CMI! Iā€™m going to play it soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, enjoy the italian language! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, I didnā€™t know you made one! Iā€™m trying it as soon as possible :smiley:

Hey Zak I switched to Visionaire too, I made my adventure with AGS and yes, for retro scumm style AGS is good but Visionaire is much more professional, considering you can export also for mac and mobiles and maybe even for online browser in the future. Iā€™m making a game now and Iā€™m looking for Lua programmers/artists :wink:

The adventure I made was sort of a demo and you find it on google typing my name+digitalšŸ™‚

:smiley: It reminds me another cool logoā€¦

1 Like

Yes but iā€™m not using it anymore of coursešŸ˜‰

I wonder how many people here in the forum made their own small adventure games, even if just demos. I counted at least four, Iā€™m sure they are many more.

1 Like

Wannabe RPG in my case, but the demo ended up being a pure dialogue-puzzle thing (so it might qualify as an adventure), and then it ended with that.