Signed Thimbleweed Park collector's edition box for $500.00

I really don’t know what to think about this…

Is this kind of “instant speculation” common among Kickstarter backers? Do rare rewards usually pop up on eBay as soon as they are received? Is this an exception or a normal phenomenon?

Everyone is free to do whatever they want with their stuff but this kind of operation feels to me a bit tactless, unless somebody needs to sell some of his/her stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thimbleweed-Park-Collector-039-s-Edition-Box-Kickstarter-Signed-New-Sealed-RARE-/272831537791

2 Likes

Welcome to the world of scalpers and scumbag sellers.
Yup, this is the reality.

Who should I sign this to? “to e-bay”?
-Stephen King

1 Like

So, these people decide to back a Kickstarter project with the intention of selling the rewards? It’s just a form of investment/speculation?

I think that´s the best comparison, yes.
They get back their money and make a nice profit, as long as there´s stupid people to pay money for it (and there usually are).

Keep us posted if this actually sells!

3 Likes

Damn, even Ransome wouldn’t charge such ridiculous prices for an autograph.

There are scalpers everywhere. The $500 is really a wishful thinking, I don’t think there’s going to be anyone biting into it. The same goes for vintage big boxes that are on ebay for these kind of prices but never sell.

You got the point.
(Maybe the seller is Ron in incognito?)

I’m not so sure about it. In Autoscout the seller asks for an high price, then you bargain to lower it. Ebay is different: the asked price can only rise. So, if the real market price of those items were a lot less, we’d see lower requests. And if there is (a lot of) people who accept to keep an item for years accepting not to unseal it and see the contents, well I would not be surprised of the prices they could accept to pay…

Anyway, the seller could have asked even more:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/361222730750

Eheh. I remember he once posted a pic of a huge bunch of remainders with many boxes of MM and MI… I thought something like “well, maybe he’s keeping that stuff for a rainy day, just in case. He only has to sign the boxes and put them on the bay”… :wink:

1 Like

They can ask for a million dollars, but that doesn’t mean they’re going to get it. An item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. To find out the real market value you should filter by items that were actually sold. Though it gets a bit tricky with items that are rare and/or doesn’t have much of a market activity.

I backed $50. A boxed version of the game, signed by Ron, would be nice :slight_smile: but I don’t think that I can afford a $500 expense, though. With those money, I would by a new mobile or something else.

$2,500 ?!? There is an italian gesture to express what I think:
immagine

1 Like

Yes, back then he left LFG/LA with one or two boxes in this pockets… :slight_smile:
Grumpy Gamer - Booty From My Seattle Storage Space!

Well, they paid for it and can do whatever they want with it.
Maybe they need cash right now, maybe this was the plan from the beginning (btw. at least he listed its origin and price of the Kickstarter tier).

And since my own signed box is on its way I don’t really care :slight_smile:

This looks like a retirement plan

1 Like

In which language is that Monkey Island 2 box, in the bottom-right corner?

Me ~3 years ago:

Btw, the Korean version of Monkey Island 2 is actually called “The Secret of Monkey Island 2”!

com_29

You MUST provide some evidence!
You don’t have, don’t you?

원숭이 섬의 비밀

2 Likes

Technically, that verified accurate translation doesn’t prove you made that statement about three years ago. :wink:

…and I think we just learned why ZakPhoenixMcKracken needs to wear a disguise… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like