Lucasfilm Games is back

Ok, so Lucasfilm Games is back, but it seems to be focused only on Star Wars. Which is no a surprise really.

1 Like

The interesting fact is that the name “Lucasfilm” has reborn.

Yeah, seems to be mostly just like a publishing/licensing label for Star Wars games developed by outside developers.

Hate to be so negative but I highly doubt Disney will have anything to do with our beloved Lucasfilm/Lucasarts adventure properties either as they’re just not mainstream enough and I doubt the new Lucasfilm Games has any interest in being a publisher of interesting indie/niche titles… Maybe some half assed Indiana Jones action game if we’re lucky.

Can’t lie tho, that name makes nostalgic as hell.

I guess, they mainly used that name and logo just now in order to prevent them from expiring, which would happen in many countries when no longer in use.
Many firms issue retro editions with their old logos or names once in a while for this exact reason. It’s commonplace on food brands and detergent brands and probably many others too.

3 Likes

That’s what they want you to believe…

1 Like

So the exact opposite of what Lucasfilm Games was doing back in the day, when Star Wars was off-limits, and the developers had to come up with new, original IPs.

1 Like

Bethesda will make a Indiana Jones game for Lucasfilm Games.

3 Likes

Wasn’t “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back” for the NES developed by Lucasfilm Games (1991 or so)… :thinking:

Hm, Wikipedia lists Lucasfilm Games + another studio, so it might be just a license title?

1 Like

The first LucasArts in-house Star Wars title was X-Wing, in 1993.

1 Like

Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment will make a Star Wars game for Lucasfilm Games.
Both MachineGames (Indy) and Massive Entertainment (SW) are Swedish companies :thinking:

To be fair, it already said on Lucas film games’ Twitter bio that they’d bring games from the Star Wars galaxies and beyond. That’s where Indy and stuff doesn’t sound surprising. No I’m just waiting for the XXXXX island announcement.

1 Like

Maybe they will revoke LucasArts some day for some no-movie-based games.

Sounds salacious…

My guess is that they are just going to print the Lucasfilm Games logo on the game cases instead of LucasArts - for whatever reason they would do that. Maybe they just think that Lucasfilm Games reminds the people more of Lucasfilm and would be more suitable for games that are based on the LFL movies.
It’s just the brand. It’s not the games studio which there was 30 years ago.

It’s just aligning the brands. Lucasfilm Ltd’s Games (licensing) subsidiary should have a similar name and logo. LucasArts was a mess regarding the branding. Going one way, then deciding something else, leaving one company with a residue from a confusing branding.

Feels good to be wrong, right?

Well, we don’t get new original IP…

The wait wasn’t too long!

[I had an old tab open in case you wonder…]

2 Likes

My quoted guess at the time is still a valid possibility. We don’t know the real reason for reviving that brand instead of keeping the well known LucasArts name, which sure would be just as adequate for a Monkey Island game as well.
In any case, I’m glad they actually use that brand for something really good.

1 Like

Yes we do - Lucasfilm Games is back, LucasArts isn’t. LucasArts is no longer developing games. Since they’ve shifted Lucasfim to being confined to being a production-only game company (no development) they’ve dropped the LucasArts name as LA was mainly known for game development.

As Ronbrush has said before, making a good adventure game is a creative process. Disney’s cinematic focus has been on producing crowd-pleasing garbage for at least the last decade (probably longer), with the once great hand-drawn animated classics now a thing of the past. So don’t hold your breath with them having much to do with future Adventure games… all the people that are creative and capable enough to make great games can easily come up with their own original properties - they don’t need to license Disney’s. There are elements in Thimbleweed Park that definitely were going to be used for MI3A.

I don’t agree with that. Disney produced some(!) interesting movies and …

… some of these were “crowd-pleasing garbage” too (think of Brother Bear).

But yes, it is sad that they don’t produce any hand drawn animation movies.

1 Like

Between Robin Hood and the Little Mermaid we had 10 years of mediocre movies, all hand drawn.

4 Likes