MI2 Full Commentary Audio File Existence?

This thumbnail reminds me of something…

grafik

In this image they just found out the latest Sierra sales figures.

6 Likes

That is uncanny.

1 Like

Right? I mean, even the colour scheme fits perfectly!

1 Like

Visual difference between the meaning of canny and uncanny :

CANNY

Uncanny

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to imply they didn’t play through the game in one session or that they didn’t cut off (large) parts of the audio, just that the numerical jump may only be indicative of game-internal structures. Unfortunately GOG doesn’t offer classic MI2 along with my special edition and I can’t seem to find anything that I could descumm with the MI Explorer you mentioned.

1 Like

The 3 digits after DEV_1 in the file names are indeed the room numbers. Since not every room has a commentary, gaps are expected. Also, those are not necessarily the order they were recorded.

Do you have any pointers on how to find that out? Is there a way to get something out of MI2:SE that’d allow me to use descumm on it?

You can browse the SE with Monkey Island Explorer - Quick And Easy Software

Also my Ultimate Talkie Edition Builder include a command line tool to just extract the DOS version from the resources: Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Editions

And you can disassemble all the DOS resources with: laurence dougal myers - ScummPacker

2 Likes

I did, but which files are relevant in this case?

Ah, I missed that. :slight_smile: (Also I didn’t realize you wrote that. I haven’t tried it out yet but it has always seemed like an excellent concept to me.)

Is it just me but doesn’t this gif makes you want to scream : “GUYBRUSH , WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO JOJO? You sick little perv!”

2 Likes

Yes! … But after you wrote it… :thinking:

Yes, I think so…

1 Like

He´s doing some Mix´n´Jojo…

Hi Guys,

I thought I’d resurrect an old thread rather than starting a new one.

As a lifelong fan of the series and what with all this recent monkey island hype i found this thread.

I’d really like to hear these audio commentaries and was wondering the best way to go about it?

There is a few recordings on youtube but no way the full selection I’m guessing.

Monkey Island 2 - Audio commentary Governor Marley's Mansion - YouTube.
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (ENG sub ITA) - Commenti del team / Team commentary (01/02) - YouTube

Is there anything out there? or do i have to purchase the game…again.

Cheers

Looking forward to Monkey Island 3a :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paying € 8 for the commentary seems fair enough imo. :wink: Plus you can wait until it’s on sale.

I have put together a video of all the developer commentary from the game I could find! For your listening pleasure! Including a funny story about Tim Schafer and a spray bottle

I also play some Monkey Island on my channel so if you want to follow along with my series playthrough before “Return to Monkey Island” comes out be my guest! I’m starting MI2 OG next Friday!

https://youtu.be/US3cTS1Ur6U

3 Likes

Why do I read this only 4 years later?

Well, I can’t help but noticing that it was not a “collection” bag back then. It became a “collection” bag only when they came home and sold it to a collector.

Great! I couldn’t have listened those comments in-game. No way I’m gonna play having those people disturbing me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wait a minute… Also no way I’m going to listen such a long audio… Ehm… @Sushi? :innocent:

You’d better play the game again with the audio comments on, so you get the context in sync with what you see or do. It’s (almost) like you have these 3 guys sitting next to you while you play. Much more fun that way!

1 Like

How could I miss this oddity?
So that other downloadable game merely released several years before with an “audio commentary” doesn’t exist?

Perhaps it’s a somewhat odd way of saying download-only. Or was there a physical release for MI 2 SE as well?