Narrative-based "adventurous" games: have you played them?

Possibly but I think I will let this one pass :slight_smile:

I have played a nice game based on story branches and rich narrative, called 80 Days.

Itā€™s really beautiful! Itā€™s heavily inspired by Jules Verneā€™s Around the World in Eighty Days but with an intriguing steampunk twist and during a period of fervent industrial revolution.

The gameplay consists in finding the fastest route to circumnavigate the planet, interacting with other passengers and the indigenous people of each region, investing carefully your money, avoiding dangers and finding opportunities to make the journey shorter.

It seems really a big game. There are a total of 170 cities that can be visited and the replayability should be quite high. Every new visited place has a story, new characters, new events. And, as in real life, s##t happens.

I stumbled upon it casually navigating Steam, but a quick search on the forum made me remember that @kaiman mentioned it in the past.

I didnā€™t manage to finish the journey within 80 days, but Iā€™ll try a more direct route the next time.

If you like narrative games based on text and exploration, I suggest you to have a look at it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, it looks like interesting and adventurous. Iā€™ll give it a try.

I didnā€™t manage on my first voyage either, but every time since. Since there are so many different routes, it really lends itself to multiple playthroughs, which often isnā€™t the case with narrative games. On top of that, thereā€™s all these small stories and secrets that you may not manage to unravel the first time you encounter them.

Itā€™s certainly one of those games that you cannot put aside easily, once you got hooked :-).

Also really looking forward to Inkleā€™s next game, Heavenā€™s Vault. And for Sorcery! to appear on GOG.

As an aside, the ā€œengineā€ behind all those games, ink, is also used by other studios, e.g. for the ā€œnarrative RPGā€ Sacred Fire. To me, these games kinda feel like classic text adventures on steroids.

Oh, also wanted to mention that after playing 80 Days, I went and actually read Verne. Something I should have done long before!

Today I played it a second time and I chose a route through Russia, which saved me a lot of time, completing the jorney in less than 70 days. :slight_smile:

I have to admit that I was lucky because, by mistake, I got off the Trans-Siberian Express in Omsk and I received from the governor of the city some papers that made it possible, later, to leave Vladivostok without being detained by the military authorities.

I agree. Iā€™m already thinking about my next route, through the north pole. :wink:

I donā€™t know these games, Iā€™ll have a look at them.

To me, 80 Days feels a bit like game books, in which your decisions can change the story in profound ways.

I have read a few novels but I would like to read them again in a different language.

1 Like

Uhā€¦

https://twitter.com/romero/status/937284814419496960

I donĀ“t know something about that warms my heart. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I just finished the free first episode of Life Is Strange.

I like the gimmick a lot and the soundtrack and art style and general mood are really beautiful. The story is even kind of touching and the supernatual elements have a certain Donnie Darko vibe to them. But the dialog is major cringeworthy. That forced millenial hipster talk just doesnĀ“t sit right with me.

IĀ“m not sure if I have the urge to buy the rest of the episodes soon, but that first episode sure was an interesting experience and I like the fact that itĀ“s an original IPā€¦