Narrative-based "adventurous" games: have you played them?

Has anybody played “What Remains of Edith Finch”?

Many people consider it a storytelling masterpiece and it has raging reviews but I’m still unsure if I should add it to my wishlist. I don’t like very much the graphic style but if the story is good, I might buy it.

Any opinion about it?

I haven’t, but John Romero’s mum has.

https://twitter.com/romero/status/879068411506118656

Wouldn´t it be ironic if John Romero of all people would be inspired to enter a new thriving adventure game market?:upside_down:

1 Like

I had no idea who this person was before 60 seconds ago. Now I know: he is “not John Carmack”. So he’s pretty irrelevant to me.

1 Like

Yet another Bell vs. Gray situation?

Boooooo!
I mean: Booohoohoooo :franklin: (yes, he will haunt you!)

I can’t recommend highly enough for you to give Talos another whirl. The shooting you had to do at the beginning was with a jammer, which jams the electronics of whatever, whether it be those attack drones, lasers, fans and whatnot. More though, I think you’ll thoroughly appreciate what this game does with its narrative. It’s profound and expertly handled and they didn’t just ignore its integration as is quite often done with these more dedicated puzzlers.

If you do play it again, you will have to use jammers and you will sometimes be sent back to the beginning of a level if an attack drone or laser kills you, but it’s not so forceful as it appears at first glance. Once you’ve done a couple of puzzles you realise how predictably they behave (set paths) and you can plan with all the time you have on how to deal with them generally. There are some levels which involve taking advantage of somewhat risky and small windows to avoid them but generally you see them, they keep moving between A and B at the same speed along the same path and you find a way to deal with them using jammers or moving at the right time. You’ll marvel at the puzzle design most likely should you give this game a proper session and see what it’s about.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try to give it another chance and I’m intrigued by the fact that the game has good narrative and puzzles. :slight_smile:

I have a long backlog of games that don’t have dying and danger as part of their gameplay, though, and I think I’ll play them before The Talos Principle.

I agree with this.

My girlfriend was crazy about Life is Strange, when the prequel comes out in a couple of months, I am gonna get her that one too.

Talking about narrative adventure games,
Today is the have a coffee break day.
I wonder who came up with this idea…
FB_IMG_1506767357064

On a saturday? :slight_smile:

Every day is a good day, to drink a mug of a black hot coffee, dark like Godot’s soul.

Yes, but as it is saturday, most people have the whole day a “break”. :wink:

1 Like

Having turned 40, married and with kids, I find that I don’t have the time to play adventure games as much as I used to. The so called “Walking simulators” have been my saviour, since they are mostly about story and can easily be played in shorter bursts. Here are my thoughts on the ones that really gave me a great experience:

Everybody’s gone to the rapture
The first for me (Gone Home was the first, but never got much further than the front door). Amazing game. Great graphics, great story and so many details and stories intertwined.

Firewatch
Once again a great experience. A bit more interaction and things you have to do/figure out. But again, it’s easy and all about story. And a great one at that.

What remains of Edith Finch
Didn’t know what to expect but reviews were great, loved the art style and it also looked like a game with fresh ideas regarding storytelling. All were true and I loved it. A bunch of small stories connected in one narative, each in their own visual style. Had a blast with it.

2 Likes

really great graphics!

Can I ask you why didn’t you play it more?

Of course.

I bought it for PC/Mac but found it too cumbersome to control since it is a 3D game and I only have trackpad and keyboard. So didn’t really enjoy playing it because of the controls, and since I have kids, I am quite picky how I spent my spare time :wink:

In the old days, growing up and as a younger man, I only played on pc and had a proper setup for that. Now I mostly game on PS4 and have grown to love the simplicity for a gamepad. The exception of course being a game like Thimbleweed Park which I played on the Mac - could never play such a game with a trackpad :smiley:

Pro tip: let the kids play and watch them playing the game. Seriously: It’s fun to play adventures together! (Of course provided that the kids are old enough for the corresponding game.)

I understand. I’m no expert about console hardware, but would it be possible to use your PS4 gamepad with the Mac?

I played Gone Home simply with a mouse and it worked OK for me.