Non gamer converted into adventure game fan

I agree. I especially liked Machinarium for this same reason. Not because I’m not an avid reader of texts in adventure games but because Amanita Design has used an alternative and very effective way to convey the story. They are good visual artists, so it was natural for them to express themselves (and the characters of their games) in a visual way.

I consider the first line of that game an iconic one and even a spark of genius. It’s incredible how those few words are able to both introduce the character to the player and the player to his/her goal without the need of any additional backstory or explanation.

Well, more than one person in this community doesn’t like the graphic style of the remake of MI1. We have discussed it a bit in this thread. There are even links to download fan-made better graphics, that fix the mistakes made by the original authors.

To me the charm of the original pixelated graphics is irresistible, but I liked the style of the remake of MI2.

Out of curiosity: does she read all the texts (e.g. object descriptions) and select all the dialog options? In other threads we have wondered whether reading texts is an activity that alienates new adventure gamers.

Oh, don’t worry. I’m an optimist. Thimbleweed Park will win several G.O.T.Y. awards, a lot of people will buy it and Terrible Toybox will get the money to make other games. :slight_smile:

1 Like