Obscure classics

You are not taking under consideration the effects of piracy. The fact that a game wasn’t sold in specific markets doesn’t imply that it wasn’t played in those markets.

Anyway, I have never been a big gamer, even when I had the Amiga, but I know most of the games cited in this thread and that lets me think that they are not so obscure.

There’s certainly some truth to that. However, this was a text-heavy game, so any player not capable of at least a modicum of German would likely soon be lost. The English language version was made available in 1998, 5 years after the original release.

Yeah, I know a number of them too, and wouldn’t label them obscure either. Lost Vikings for example was quite well received by the gaming press, or else I certainly wouldn’t have bought it. Shadow of the Beast is famous for the music alone. Finding something really obscure, when all the old stuff has been catalogued and subjected to countless retrospectives is quite a challenge, though :slight_smile: .

I still say that Exile still hasn´t gotten half the recogition it deserves, so that makes it a least little more obscure. Especially the C64 port which has much nicer colours (and the sound the little green gnomes make!).

I think the thing to consider is that Sierra Online made a killing with their games, while LucasFilms was always a very distant second. I think this is what Mr. Gilbert is alluding to.

Presumably, Sierra games were pirated just as well, yet they still made much more money and lead the industry for a while.

dZ.

That’s not how adventure game business works.
Sierra made a lot of games, games in which you die a lot, games with unfair puzzles.
They just sold a lot more hint books than LFG did!

They also sold a lot more units per game. LucasFilms was always “second banana,” irrespective of the quality of their games.

dZ.

A GTA mod?

Could be Simpsons Hit´n´Run, which is basically a GTA clone.

Ah, makes sense. Well, other than the seemingly random picture posted 11 months later… :wink:

Pah, context! Who needs context anyhoo? :man_shrugging:

I played Forbidden Forest too!
It was really hard though. Watching that video I think I made it to level 4 only

I also remember sucking at this one

It had a night/day cycle and open world. And no idea what to do.

I put a start time in the video… Hey, that is the biggest monkey head I have ever seen!

2 Likes

Another “open world” game I spent hours getting lost in:

1 Like

Oh wow! I forgot about this one. Must have been one of the first games we had on the C64. Notice the way you each screen is drawn (slowly)

1 Like

Oh yeah, the really overdid it with the quality of the graphics there(slowing the gameplay down for their sake). But the music sounds fantastic!

1 Like

This one on the PC
I remember thinking : “Wow, now they have reached the pinnacle of what they can achieve graphics wise.
Warning, the first 10 minutes is the intro movie (cutscene) but is actually enjoyable if you like stuff like the Goonies.

I still have the CD-rom, I wonder if I can get it to run.

Not so obscure I guess, but so much fun:

It pretty much is, just like other late '90s 2D platformers (e.g., Rayman, Abe’s Oddysee. A modern game like Mark of the Ninja has slightly fancier lighting effects but the main thing eating up modern CPU time is the advanced dynamic audio stuff (including when guards hear you).

But Heart of Darkness isn’t obscure? It was like the game of '98. Not to me, that was probably Age of Empires, but generically speaking.

Well the Darkness part is !
:wink:

That must have been Grim Fandango, though!

1 Like