"point & click" board games

I donā€™t think so because there are many ā€œadventure board gamesā€ out there at the moment - at least in the stores here.

Well, they could do this without a lot of effort - the proof is ā€œManiac Mansion Maniaā€ā€¦

(And there are some ā€œadventure board gamesā€ with extensions. :wink: )

A little bit off-topic but just recently there was a Kickstarter campaign for a Shovel Knight themed board game, i.e. a side-scrolling platformer board game!

They should have put this on the TWP kickstarter: ā€œArt assets not final, and may be subject to change.ā€

Also, a bit of a missed chance to include a pledge level that would get you fully handpainted models. (General gripe at the whole tabletop/model industry - most 3D models remain unpainted or end up terribly)

Not a new idea, btw. :wink:

But (spoiler alert,) they did use a lot of those assets in the wireframe world in the final gameā€¦
Except the inventory icons. They are still not final and subject to change in any possible future update!

Citation needed.

I remember a Mega Man game on Kickstarter, but it seems like the gameplay didnā€™t turn out so great.

Other games I found on BGG:

Btw., three out of those four were Kickstarter funded.

We need to get this published:

2 Likes

For example the Labyrinth series uses a similar approach and ā€¦

ā€¦ well. :wink:

wow! I missed that thread. That looks very cute!

Hm, we could call this a board variant of a platformer or maybe even metroidvania. Also who doesnā€™t love mazes!

Though the mechanic of changing the maze with shifting columns is neat, the side-scrolling aspect is missing.
Not sure about the Mega Man game but the others listed above seem to have proper side-scroller mechanics, like unfolding the world slice by slice.

I have seen a gameplay video of the Shovel Knight board game. It starts with a side scrolling part and then ends with a boss fight. It looks quite fun. You have jumping involved and a lot of the in-game items. When you die you lose half of your money which can be later collected, itā€™s quite true to the original.

1 Like

Nitpicker. :wink: I just wanted to point out that the idea of a side scroller board game isnā€™t new. But:

The whole column or row is shifting, so to me it felt a little bit like a plattformer. But ā€œmetroidvainaā€ is a really good/better description. :smiley:

I agree: It looks very interesting. Letā€™s hope it will be available for non-backers too. :slight_smile:

I really liked them when I was a kid! (Now as a grown up they are a little bit too simple though.)

They are going to use Pledgemanager so itā€™s likely to be able to pledge later.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve just bought Labyrinth the card game to give away to some younger relative, but I am actually thinking of getting a copy for myself :slight_smile:. Iā€™ve also had the original since I was a kid, but as I won a lot, nobody likes playing that one anymore ā€¦

2 Likes

We played Labyrinth recently with four adults. We thought that too. It turned out that it wasnā€™t that simple. :wink: And we had a lot of fun! :smiley:

Which one?

Iā€™ve only played the original one, Master Labyrinth and also the junior version. I might try the card game!

The ā€œfirstā€/original version from the 1980s.

Pledgemanager for Shovel Knight: Dungeon Duels is now live!

• $40 for 2D version (standees only)
  • $70 for 3D version

And you can get add-ons.

Note: Shipping will be charged later. Pledgemanager stays open until when production starts, possibly in December. Source

It would be very expensive. But if you donā€™t want to paint them yourself you can always pay somebody to do it.

This is how the work of professional a painter looks like :crazy_face::

1 Like

I know this topic was more about pointā€™nā€™click related board games so here we go:

Panda Cult Games, the makers of Shovel Knight: Dungeon Duels also kickstarted another board game not too long ago:
Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay (Kickstarter)

They had planned an expansion called LaCluckā€™s Revenge with a boss called:
LaCluck - Ghost Pirate Chicken Lord. She has a drumstick peg leg. And a ghost pirate crew. :ghost:
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

It

is

https://twitter.com/PandaCultGames/status/1275505302956322821
happening!

https://twitter.com/PandaCultGames/status/1282758927822712832

(ā€œKickstarter later this yearā€)

1 Like

I recently watched an interview of Bill Tiller and somebody mentioned he owns Haunted Mansion Game (1972).

Looking this up led me to a much more recent board game: Scooby-Doo: Escape from the Haunted Mansion (2020).

Itā€™s basically Maniac Mansion / SCUMM!

• You have multiple rooms.
  • You collect inventory items.
  • You can use those items on objects in the rooms.
  • There are multiple characters (itā€™s a co-op game).
  • You have multiple verbs (each character has its own, e.g. Scooby-Doo can smell, Velma can research etc.).

(Iā€™ve learned this from watching this video: How to Play video by Tantrum House)

Also see:

4 Likes

ā€¦ which already made it as a SCUMM (like) game on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis:

3 Likes