ScummVM supports Might and Magic

The current daily build of ScummVM supports several Might and Magic games:

http://www.scummvm.org/news/20180501/

3 Likes

@calypso: “Might and Magic” are RPGs - so I’m not sure if “Adventure” is the right category… :slight_smile:

You can change the category yourself, you know :wink:
Click the pencil next to the title.

1 Like

Calypso has changed the category to “Adventure”. Originally I had chosen “Off-Topic”. So I assume there is a reason for the change. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh, I see.

1 Like

Yeah, I tend to move most game-related threads here (no matter the genre). I don’t think there’s a need for this to be in the off-topic category. I know that the category is called “Adventure/Lucasfilm Games”, but discussion about other genres of games is allowed here too (also ScummVM is generally pretty adventure game-related).

2 Likes

Odd, to say the least.

I can understand that there’s some sense for ScummVM to support adventures that aren’t actually powered by SCUMM. Maybe there’s even enough similarity to have some code in common. But that move puzzles me.

Maybe I’m old-school, but I’m quite a firm believer in keeping things simple and focused. The old Unix philosophy, if you will.

Also, never played anything other than M&M VI. Didn’t actually finish it, but I recall having quite a bit of fun with it.

Well, the Sierra RPGs are using the same VM as the adventure games. And wasn’t Waxworks an RPG too?

A first person Dungeon Crawler in the style of Elvira Mistress Of The Dark (also by the same studio I believe), yes.

That is also supported by ScummVM along with Eye of the Beholder…

I must have missed that! Need to play those again, then! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The engines are implemented as separate modules though. It’s basically a (mostly?) hidden SDL backend with a ScummVM wrapper API suitable for whatever is relevant to adventure-ish game engines, particularly slightly older 2D ones. I’d argue it’s precisely because ScummVM is simple and focused that it’s apparently relatively straightforwards to plug in all these seemingly so diverse modules.

They split off ResidualVM precisely because the 3D stuff requires a totally different design.

I for one welcome every addition to ScummVM, adventure or not. DOSBox is nice and all, but it sucks my laptop’s battery dry even though two decades ago my computer played such games while lounging at the swimming pool with a book.

2 Likes

ScummVM 2.1.0 is available for testing. Beside the Might and Magic titles it supports “Blade Runner”:

4 Likes

Personally for me most important: Mission Supernova!
Those games are rather short and easy but they introduced me to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

And now, thanks to JaromĂ­r Wysoglad and the ScummVM team, non-German speakers readers can play it too!

5 Likes

Now if only GOG would sell it to me. 30-50 Euros used is a bit much for something I don’t even know if I’d like.

And also Quest for Glory IV!

2 Likes