Social Media: the devil?

Sure, but everyone who understands german is clearly at an advantage of course. It is really hard to explain what this was about otherwise.

(The “Safari Cat” is a photoshopped mascot of that show and I draw their attention to it being used on a big german news site. That´s it in a nutshell).

1 Like

Tsuwarmi, that’s so bad. :rofl:

1 Like

I guess you are officially famous now. :wink:

1 Like

Excuse me Milan but… they’re are supposed to pronounce it correctly. Aren’t they? They are German. For me as an Italian it was pretty clear how to pronounce it and that’s exactly how it was, as we would read it with closed “O” in Holz. Or maybe that’s because I’m used to hear Holzbau, a company that produces wooden structures for buildings…

I don´t know it is usally all over the place for wherever anyone is from. Including germany.

Then I guess you really have to become (more) famous so your name will be all over the place for everyone to learn the correct pronunciation :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes! :star_struck:

For the Fahrnholz part? I can imagine some variations on Milan but I find it hard to imagine how else to pronounce fahrn + holz.

I don´t know @someone said there could be more variations. :man_shrugging:

Yep:

• Faanholz
  • Farnholz
  • Fahrnholz
  • Fahrnholtz
  • Fanholz
1 Like

Those are different ways to write, but some are pronounced exactly alike?

I like that one. That is really close to the actual pronunciation.

3 Likes

No, you can hear the difference. Of course there are only small differences, but you can hear them. For example you can hear the “r” or not, you can speak a long “a” or a short one, etc.

2 Likes

Ok then I guess I was just lucky :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Maybe it helps that the Walulis guys are from bavaria? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Could be. :wink: In most regions of northern Germany the “r” isn’t spoken in a lot of words.

1 Like

Well sure, you can pronounce the r a dozen different ways but (except perhaps for this swallowing it completely example) I wouldn’t regard those as meaningfully different pronunciations but simply different realizations of the same phoneme.

You’ll have to explain what that’s supposed to mean. Holz = /hɔlʦ/

2 Likes

No, the meaning changes in some cases. For example:
Farn = the plant
Fahn sounds like Fahren = driving

So in the first case Milan would be an old plant and in the second case a man who is driving wood to somewhere.

But, yes, in most cases only the pronunciation changes. (But wasn’t that the main problem?)

Holtz and Holz have the same meaning, Holtz is an old spelling variant for Holz. But you can hear the “t” in the first case and not in the latter case.

1 Like

Can you really?

All r sounds are allophones, so they don’t count as different pronunciations. That’s different than the a from haben vs. the a from hassen or something like that.

In that case you can add holt to the mix, 'cause I’d much sooner drop the s than the t from holz! Fahrnhols, lol.

Depends on how you pronounce it, but yes: Holz is more like Hols, while in Holtz the tz is much “harder” and you can hear softly the “t”.