Social Media: the devil?

You really pronounce Holz like Hols? That´s odd.

In dialect it is more pronounced like “Vonhoitz” anyway…

Not exactly like “s”, but softer than “tz”. (In my dialect there is no real difference. I think …)

Well that makes more sense.

Oh, I completely forgot to answer to this:

Not in words but in names. “Fanholz” and “Fahrnholz” are two different persons. Most(?) Germans don’t like it if someone pronounces our names wrong (and you don’t have an excuse). That’s especially true for dialects where names could be spelled in a completely different way than they are pronounced. :slight_smile: (For example “Shorsh” instead of “Georg”.)

It wouldn’t be impossible, but it would be remarkable if someone were upset over whether their name were pronounced with a uvular flap or a trill. In German (or Dutch), that is, not in Spanish where they’re not allophones. Absence of a phoneme can also be an allophone of sorts but that’s not quite the same thing.

It’s not really that different with my (Dutch) name. That’s Frans with an [ɑ], not an [a]. And with an [s], not a [z] or a [ts]. Americans instinctively go for Franz instead, for example. Initially I had some trouble explaining it to them, but now I say it’s like France with an [ɑ] and they get it right immediately. Somehow “it’s Frans, not Frants/Franz” just doesn’t register.

But anyway, those things matter because they’re different sounds. But whether you use an alveolar trill, tap, flap, uvular fricative, etc. is just an accent.

Sjors is also a Dutch pronunciation for Georg/George. But that’s just the Dutchified/Germanified version of the French pronunciation since we don’t naturally have a [ʒ] sound.

One question. I´ve seen people do this on twitter but only very rarely, it seems to happen ALL THE TIME on facebook though.

People tagging other people by writing their names in the comments.

Is there no better way to share stuff with certain people on facebook (because on twitter there is and that´s why only stupid people do it that way)?
So are there more stupid people on facebook or is their system just worse?

I don’t know the current situation, but yes.

One problem is, that Facebook selects the posts you see. So it can happen that you only see some posts of your friend Alice.

Another problem might be the rights, because you can show a post only to a specific group of people.

And if Alice follows Bob and Carl, but Carl follows only Alice, then Alice has to tag Carl in the comments of a post from Bob. Otherwise Carl wouldn’t see the post from Bob.

Definitely the latter one - and maybe the first. :wink:

1 Like

Sheesh that is stupid. That makes the comments super awkward to read.

Are you still active on Facebook?

I´m passive there, let´s say. It´s because many restaurants and some other places put all their info and updates there and nowhere else. The annoying thing is when you are not logged in you sometimes can´t read anything at all or a big “sign in” thingy hunts you while scrolling down the page etc.

3 Likes

Yes, I totally agree: Both is really annoying.

3 Likes