SPOILER Thread For RtMI!

I think you’re overthinking it. In the first game you have to have a crew and a working ship to travel. Now, you just need some garbage and you’re good, you can make your own ship and don’t need a crew. There are no rules in the world Return, whatever needs to happen, just happens and the writers didn’t care one bit if it makes sense or not.

2 Likes

When the ship was destroyed I just took it as something that could have happened at any time in the interim. Was there some dialogue that placed it specifically as Guybrush destroying it in Secret?

Remember how you launch rocks to get bananas? You can also destroy your ship as well.

I think MI6 is way overhyped currently, but to be fair? Crew numbers have been inconsistent since the first game, when it only took two people to sail the Sea Monkey (Herman and his Captain), while Guybrush needed four people total but through voodoo magic did everything himself.

Oh I know. I’ve destroyed it more than once. That’s not what I mean. I mean in Return, was there dialogue specifically suggesting that the ship was destroyed because of Guybrush when he was launching rocks? Because otherwise, the ship could have been destroyed at any time after Secret. It didn’t have to happen during a game we’ve played.

I don’t remember the exact dialogue, but it just seems overwhelmingly likely to be a reference to MI1. After all, that IS the continuity set by MI4, so if anything it would raise more questions if we saw the Sea Monkey safe and unwrecked somewhere.

I think it’s great that MI6 seens to stay with MI4 here, as with Carla’s cushy government job. I just note that showing any debris from the Sea Monkey (and a plaque) was a specific decision, and not one necessitated by “we need to find a way for Guybrush to leave the island”.

I wondered as well. It’s a while since I played EMI. I remember, the game assumed that you sunk the ship, and Otis and Carla complaining that Guybrush left them behind. But are they also aware that Guybrush threw that rock?

If I recall, the dialogue of MI4 only indicates that they blame Guybrush for leaving them on Monkey Island - I don’t remember anything about them mentioning the Sea Monkey specifically.

I do remember when you tell them you escaped with Herman’s ship, one of them says Herman never said anything about having a ship. And in Part 3 on Monkey Island, when Herman is remembering things, he remembers being on Dinky Island but isn’t sure how he got there… until Guybrush clarifies that Dinky and Monkey are connected by tunnels.

Which means that, according to MI4, the events of MI1 had Herman drop off Guybrush at Mêlée Island and then almost immediately sail back to Monkey Island, where he spoke with Carla/Otis/Meathook but was unhelpful.

Ron posted early RtMI puzzle dependency chart, includes spoilers -

6 Likes

Makes me wonder what it represents. The code wheel is basically the gate into Monkey Island, you enter the code, then you play. Seems to suggest that The Secret of Monkey Island is (or was) in fact a theme park. But is that the secret? I think it’s what it said on the sign near the exit, but I’d have to revisit that to be sure. The ending all went by in a blur …

But quite nice how the t-shirt was foreshadowed. By one of the pirates in the Scumm bar, if I recall correctly. At that point, I was almost certain that it had to be that.

There’s also a question I have: when you look at the LeShip onboarding pamphlet later in the game, there’ll be checkmarks for all the nasty things you have achieved so far. Is it possible to get the whole list? I only managed about 5 or 6. A yay or nay suffices.

And one final complaint: why doesn’t ESC bring up the menu. Instead it was some weird key I almost immediately forgot again. O?

Yeah, the plaque at the end says the original secret is a theme park -

Screenshot

And Ron Gilbert confirms that in a recent interview - see this thread.

I think I read that it’s not completable - I think one item was cut for some reason.

2 Likes

They say murder is the one check mark you can’t get. And if you look into your game actions, some check marks are unavoidable. It kind of bugs me that you can neither avoid the checkmarks nor complete them all.

1 Like

Some deleted scenes (source: GDC talk by Jenn Sandercock)

7 Likes

Maybe they can be used in a Delores mini game!

1 Like