"Syberia" free on GOG.com in the next 24 hours

One of my favorite PnC adventure games will be free on GOG.com for the next few hours. You just need a GOG.com account and add it to your library.

I consider the story of Syberia really a beautiful tale. You should have a look at it if you have never played the game. Here is how the game starts (no spoilers):

2 Likes

Nice - thanks for the tip. I have played this game and Syberia II as well, and I enjoyed them both. I’ve been considering the new one. Have you tried it?

Intentionally, no. “Syberia 3” has been plagued with technical and usability issues, so I decided to wait for them to be fixed.

Since its recent release, the developers have already published several patches to address many problems but I still have to check how much things have improved.

In any case, the game has many negative reviews not just because of the technical issues but also because many reviewers didn’t like some artistic aspects, starting from the plot.

I think I’ll wait a bit more, even if in this moment it’s easy to find the game greatly discounted.

By the way, the developers have also published this short add-on just yesterday:

1 Like

I loved the first one! Amazing mood. The second was bit disappointing with all those Myst-like puzzles and where the story went. Looks like the third will be even worse.

I have re-played the first one recently and I got yet another confirmation of why it’s one of my favorite adventure games.

For me, a good part of the atmosphere created by the story depends on the fact that all visited places are mostly empty of life: abandoned factories, a university with no students, a luxury hotel with a few customers, etc. Every location is a surreal cathedral in the middle of a desert, mostly deprived of life.

I have not played the second game since many years and I don’t remember very well its puzzles, but I’ve learned to consider the first two games as one, mostly because it’s only in the second one that the personal story of Hans Voralberg reaches his natural conclusion.

The plot seems a bit detached from the previous chapters of the story. Moreover, one of the main characteristics of the first two games (the automatons) is not prominent as in Syberia 1 and 2.

I have always considered Sokal’s habit of mixing nature and mechanical works as one of the most interesting aspects of his games (mainly, in Syberia and Amerzone) and it’s difficult to accept a new Syberia game in which this feature is less important.