The "Annoying In-jokes" option

Exaclty, I browse all the options too, as the first thing, in every game.
That’s how I have discovered the “annoying in-jokes” option, immediately after the game update.

1 Like

There should be an option to choose which in-joke setting is default.

6 Likes

Thanks, you made me laugh out loud this morning, and I really needed that today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe the in-jokes checkbox could be included in the difficulty level selection screen at the start of the game? Perhaps Including an explanatory tool tip.

3 Likes

I do both as well!

I even read my coffee pot manual…I need to know when to use the vinegar wash on a usage basis!

I don’t see the need to defalut to no in jokes. It’s like Han Solo not shooting the first.

You skipped part of his sentence :slight_smile:

I´ve yet to meet a single PC Gamer who doesn´t fiddle around with the graphics and control settings for a good 10 minutes before actually starting the game.

Thanks for the reply. I do see the option to change it, what I meant is that I think it was better when it defaulted to in-jokes and you didn’t need to activate it.

If they defaulted to no in-jokes, there must be a good reason of course. It’s not that they liked to do it.

We explained this in the podcast. Defaulting it to ON would have been pointless, as most people would have left it on (without seeing it) and then complained about all the in-jokes. Now it’s a little easter-egg for people “in the know”. This forum is made up of mega-fans, so the in-jokes make sense and are appreciated. That’s not true for the other 10’s of thousands of people playing the game. We were having too much fun adding the in-jokes.

5 Likes

We consider the ticked boxed version the “Director´s Cut” from now on.

I also wonder if somebody somewhere actually was playing the game during the transition (because steam can be set to automatically update before starting a game) and at one point went “oh good, those annoying injokes became less frequent in the latter half of the game!” :upside_down:

2 Likes

You just managed to create in my head a giant and extremely unpleasant doubt.

I actually have to rephrase that, because I actually do know people who were playing the game during the transition and didn´t notice the change until I told them what it was.

If you’re on this board you know about clicking the box. So if you click it, you’ve got the experience you desire.

So now at this point if you are arguing that the default should be that the jokes are on, it really has no relevance to your experience playing the game. It comes down to a producer’s decision and they’ve made their choice. There’s no point arguing about it since you know how to get your preferred experience.

Don’t mean to sound hostile (I hope I don’t) but we’ve been beating a dead horse here.

1 Like

I think, like many other things, the second half of the game has a lot less of them. The first few hours of the game are very top heavy with in-jokes, small puzzles, dialog, and objects.

I’d prefer an option that made Delores stop talking about MMucasflem. I got it the 50th time, you’re one dimensional.

The bell can also get very annoying during her flashback :slight_smile:
I think there was a bug with the first release which kept her saying this line especially often.

Some of these changes sound like an overreaction (meteor-poster, navigator-head …). If you only delete content, without replacing it with something else, you end up with a ‘lighter’ game.

I wouldn’t have changed anything for this game but I would have kept the critics in mind for the next one.

2 Likes

[quote=“ideal, post:80, topic:137”]
If you only delete content, without replacing it with something else
[/quote]One exception is the parcel in the post office, which was in fact replaces with another one.
Still, it feels like a cut game knowing there is actually more to see.