The Controller Topic

Oh. Obviously I have never played an Xbox One game and I haven’t dismantled this type of controller yet, so this was new to me!

My last/latest joystick is this one:

It has 4 axes and a bunch of buttons (6 + POV hat [acts like a D-pad]). It was like a modern controller in big.

I mostly use controllers for platformers and similar games now (also old ones, e.g. in DOSBox).
I don’t have a problem with a lot of buttons, but I am very picky about which one maps to what.
If I couldn’t customise this it would be a problem for action games. E.g. I want my jump and attack buttons arranged like in the good old NES days.

I mostly use X-Box controllers now. The position of A, B, X and Y are easy to remember. Those PS shapes don’t make any sense to me…

I use controller buttons to cycle through most often used verbs without having to change position of the cursor, it’s nearly like playing with a keyboard + a slow mouse.

Advantages of controllers are that they are much easier to carry around (vs. Josticks or Keyboards + Mice). When playing local multiplayer you just plug in more of those cheap disposable and replaceable (vs. especially laptop keyboards!) things.