The murderer. (spoilers!)

As someone who grew up loving The Twilight Zone and all horror in the vein, I LOVE unanswered questions. Sometimes they hit that sweet spot of WAIT, WHAT???. That lovely surreality.

In my understanding the murder was not really that important, but if you go with motive, the self-aware AI in the factory didn’t want it repurposed to make plushies, so it killed both the investor and Franklin, who was making the deal. In the journals you can read the Coroner, Sheriff and Hotel Manager are all very similar because they’re all robots. So I’m guessing Chuck had other robots among the population, or maybe it as a Chuck-looking robot. I suspect Chuck wouldn’t waste his time monitoring the cameras in the hotel, so that was probably a robot too.

1 Like

I´m totally on board with Ron and others on this one. Some of my favourite media, movies, TV Shows, books, comics, games etc are of the sort where I go:“I´m not sure what I just watched, but it was beautiful” and that impression stays with me for long.

I love the movies of David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, David Cronenberg, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Dario Argento, Werner Herzog etc.
Another World, Silent Hill 2 and The Cat Lady are fantastic games.
Twin Peaks and The Twilight Zone are among my favourite shows of all time.
I absolutly adore the Heavy Metal comics.
I admire the art of Francis Bacon, Arnold BĂścklin and HR Giger.
Somewhere else on the forum I´ve already mentioned my fasctionation with HP Lovecraft so no need to repeat that here.
I probably still prefer the more ambigious ending of Stephen King´s The Mist over the one of the movie.
My avatar comes from the british first print edition of the novel American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, one of the most biting satires of our times of which it´s author said it was designed for the book medium and couldn´t work as a movie because the novel was designed to be left ambigious and take place in the readers mind, instead of showing you things.

I think compared to those things Thimbleweed Park is still pretty damn forward, I absolutly recognize that all of that is rather “special interest” but I just find things inherently more fascinating that leave you wondering a bit and don´t offer easy answers.

But hey as a kid I played Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken, watched The Secret Of NIMH and the french animated film Time Masters and was into those Mysteries Of The Unknown Time Life Books, how else but weird were my tastes supposed to eventually turn out? :slight_smile:

True, but I loved the movie ending (saw it before reading the book), because it was such a “Nooooooooooooo!” moment.

2 Likes

Oh wow, so you didn´t wait over 10 years for that movie to be made like me (it´s always been one of my favourite stories and I always wondered why that hadn´t been turned into movie while almost everything else had coughThe Manglercough)

And despite prefering the ending of the original story I also liked Darabont´s mean downer ending (King himself likes it more than his own) simply for the balls it probably took to go through with it.

I also love the ending of Red Dead Redemption, even though I was initially a bit angry, but I don´t think that had been done in a game before.

Having read the book before, I was OH NO THEY DIDN’T, and proceeded to laugh my head off.

The funny thing is, it isn´t really even a different ending, the book´s ending is in the movie it just goes on after that.

And more more thing about the Mist. Long before it was a movie, it was a text adventure, back in 1985!

It can be played here:

It’s a feature that gives an author the chance to create further chapters of the story. Even in japanese anime (cartoons) it’s the same: many topics are left incomplete or unanswered to keep the final user on his toes.

It is also a sign of lazy writing. And before anybody gets their panties in a twist, I am not accusing anybody of this.

I am merely stating that “missing answers” does not automatically mean “ooh! Spooky, mysterious, genius author who is digging deep into my soul.”

Sometimes a spade is just a spade.

dZ.

1 Like

… no

Checking my original playthrough I “solved” the murder after 2/3 of my play time.
This can make the murder feel quite a substantial part of the game (reason being you can work on a lot of other puzzle chains during the same time).

1 Like

Mmmhh, seems like my earliest still surviving save is at 8 1/2 hours (the murder is already solved there) and my final one at the initial playthrough at 22 1/2. So more like 1/3 in my case it seems.

Maybe I just didn´t get as distracted as all you mere mortal fools…:franklin:

My savegame before WF world was at 23h!
Same play time but different priorities :slight_smile:

I was going to say that. Also, those who read the devblog knew it already, I think it was quite clear that the murder was just an excuse to get the story going.

Now imagine how people would react if the game was really like the new Twin Peaks and featured a cut-scene that was nothing but 20 minutes of zooming into an atom bomb explosion! :rofl:

PS: The new Twin Peaks is just so great!:dizzy_face:

1 Like

Just to be sure, that is a spoiler about the new Twin Peaks, right? (I have not watched it yet)

It is a reference to something that happens in the latest episode, yes. Is it technically a spoiler? I have absolutly no idea!

I watched that episode last night. I’d been really enjoying it up until that point, and I’m all for the weirdness, but that was just, er, nuts :frowning: where was the sanity interval? Hm?

The thing coming closest to that was probably the 1956 flashback with the boy walking the girl home.

But yeah it was kinda extreme this time, but I still liked it reminded me of the stargate sequence at the end of 2001.

Ah yes, there was that small interlude.

I’m starting to form some theories from it now, so it’s improved a bit in my mind. I think it will largely hinge on what happens next. ‘Happens’ in the very loose sense.

1 Like

Yeah me too.

At least we now know that the poster behind Cole´s office desk is possibly more than just a jokey reference to his hearing impairment.