The pronunciation thread

Yep, I was just pointing out which ones are A-like as not all of those ones are.

1 Like

Yeah, this is what this thread is all about… :slightly_smiling_face:

“ʌ” for english people is “uh”, while the italian mind goes “A” :exploding_head:

Some of those examples are pronounced as /ɔ/ in some varieties of English, which in spelling is also represented by the grapheme o. But I’ve been writing /o/ quite intentionally. I’m explicitly leaving open the possibility that /o/ naturally occurs in some phonetic contexts more or less by accident, but these aren’t it.

For example, in a word like bore/boar, if it’s pronounced with an /o/ (only in some varieties), the diphthong will be swallowed or replaced by the r phoneme.

Two nice links for transcriptions, a serious and a funny one:

Here you can find a reliable english IPA transcriptor:

And, check out this one because it’s fantastic!!

They write: “today, thanks to our pronuncition dictionary, you don’t need to know the IPA symbols! You can write your english word here and have it transcribed in the correct pronunciation!”

The incredible thing is that it doesn’t seem “just for fun”… they really seem serious… :confused:
Anyway, that dictionary lacks of many words, but it writes down english word according to italian rules, like we did for fun with @guga, @Sushi, @Frenzie

Oh, and there’s also a section for words which are (supposedly) pronunciated the same in english and italian… it’s called “si scrive = si legge” which means “you write = you read” :smile:

1 Like

:star_struck:

Uh oh… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Good strategic move, using the stars instead of hearts. :slight_smile: :+1: Let’s mantain a low profile…
I suspect @milanfahrnholz is always lurking waiting for the good moment to take revenge for this: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Well you haven’t recorded your rolling R’s yet… someone else got there first :kissing_heart:

I know you’ll probably disagree cause you like arguing, but… Hobbit.
That is an /o/ (whatever that actually is) like an Italian o, right?
Not ow, uw, euw, ^ or whatever difthongy thing.

“But Italians say [o:bi’t], English say [ho’bət]” :roll_eyes:

You’d expect the HOT vowel, whichever of the two or three usual suspects that might be, none of which would normally be /o/. :slight_smile:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/hobbit

Well, yes of course! But since that has caught on a little (with other people like @Sushi joining in) and @someone providing many more occasions I´m not gonna be too hard on you about this. Besides since she released her super cute little soundclip it seems like half the forum has a crush on @tasse-tee so…eh, whatever. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Heheh. It seems so :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah, yeah… trust friends… @ZakPhoenixMcKracken

2 Likes

Maybe it helps to be in the minority. I guess I should join an all female forum. I bet that totally works out…

3 Likes

One word of advice, though: you’ll probably soon get perceived as a creep over there.

https://discussion.femalefirst.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1385

1 Like

On the contrary, I think this is the best thread for Milan to introduce himself in! :laughing:

3 Likes

:rofl:

Maybe I even am in that thread. I can’t remember that was so long ago and I was an 18 year old girl.

3 Likes

@Someone @milanfahrnholz

Translation for the non-deutschsprachiger

Hello Someone, hello Milan, hello everyone else that speaks German, and those who have no idea what I’m saying! It’s me, Tasse-Tee, and this is how I sound… is that a word? I don’t know… this is :rofl: this is my German accent. I don’t know how English it sounds. It’s been… one, two, three years since I was last living and working in Germany.

And what else did I want to say? I want to go on a trip with a penguin! And also, with a hint guide you are a loser. Bye, until next time!

7 Likes

I think klingeln is ringing the doorbell?

1 Like