The Thimbleweed Park Manual of Style

Continuing the discussion from Great Milan and Lady Mondegreen:

I think the first one.
And I hate “?!?”

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

First of all, that wasn’t an error, as I explained. Secondly, in matters of typography and writing style, I’m more nitpicky than @PiecesOfKate in matter of grammar! :sweat_smile:

One thing I hate is when some people put commas , you know , like this.

3 Likes

Well, I admit, the liberal use of my commas.

1 Like

I think he meant the spaces. The clause is fine. Yours ain’t

4 Likes

From the typography point of view this isn’t allowed - like !!!!!!!.

(btw: It is said that people who are using more than one exclamation mark are mentally fragile/unstable…)

3 Likes

That I knew which is why I did it.

1 Like

You mean…

1 Like

I think that would be a good place to mention what we call “Einself” in german internet lingo.

yeeeeeees. It is a symptom of hysteriaaaaaaaaaaa......... Like wrtiiiiiiing like thiiiiis..........
OR LIKE THIS
Or saying continously, “dear”, “hun”, and stupidity like that.

1 Like

Isn’t there the English variant !!!1!!one!!!eleven ?

1 Like

Yes.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I meant the spaces.

1 Like

Yeah no leading spaces and always trailing spaces around commas, except when followed by an ellipse, because it just looks weird otherwise

Bla, bla, bla,…
Bla, bla, bla, …

1 Like

Can you please elaborate?

I know that the “phenomenon” is internationally known. But using that phrase to indicated someone is overreacting seems to be a german specific thing.

Like “mimimimimimi” I´ve seen also only on german forums. Though that is obviously taken from Beaker from the Muppet Show.

1 Like

What?!!!

3 Likes

And waht about lists? Do you like 'em…

• This

or maybe

• Like;
  • this.

??

On the German keyboard the exclamation mark is on the key for 1. You have to press shift and 1 to get the exclamation mark. People who are using a lot of exclamation marks often forget to press the shift key. That leads to thinks like this: !!!!!1!!!!!!. The rest of Germany parodies this with !!1!!!one!!!!eleven.

4 Likes