The Thimbleweed Park Manual of Style

That looks odd either way to me because of the fact you’ve used a comma, when you wouldn’t usually before an ellipsis.

1 Like

:grinning:

Yes, I prefer this one. With consistent punctuation at the end of each - either a full stop, or nothing.

1 Like

Okay so there is a tendency for people who go real crazy while writing something and they prefer to end their sentences with as many !!! as possible. When they do that their fingers sometimes slip from the caps key and some ! come out as 1 looking like !!!111 1 11 !!! in the middle of that you have 1 and 11 which were meant to be ! and !! but turned out that way because the person was just soooooo angry.

And when we see someone doing that or if you think someone has some artificial anger we say end our sarcastic remarks on their problem with “einself” or “1eins11elf” or other variants.

And as I also mentioned when someone is being whiny we say “mimimimimimi” sounding like Beaker from The Muppets, to mock their whininess.

5 Likes

The first one. The ; in the form of a list separator isn’t needed as well as the bullets – they’re both performing the same function.

I’d also use lower case at the start of the list items if they are completing a sentence (such as 'We should all strive harder to: [bullets]).

This thread is making me type rapidly, while eating a soggy salad-cream-leaking sandwich.

4 Likes

Exactly, in English you don’t, while in Dutch you would. That’s why the (English) spellcheck annoys me when I’m writing Dutch sentences.

1 Like

Looks like we have a new “hot” topic …
Screenshot_20180807_130453

5 Likes

Let’s go shoppin’, peeps!

2 Likes

It is allowed.
I’ve met it many times.
bla, bla, bla… indicates indefinite suspension
bla, bla, bla, … indicates iteration

Where is that store?!? Where is that store!!??!!one!!!eleven!

2 Likes

And you HAD TO GO OFF-TOPIC AGAIN !!!11!!!1!!!1!!1!!!

3 Likes

I think they are only in the states, but I´m not sure?

1 Like

Take a chill pill! :pill:

2 Likes

I can talk only about German, but all these things depend on what you write. :slight_smile: For example you can write:

This is the start of the sentence

• and this is the first bullet,
  • while this another bullet.

Allowed is also for dinner:

• Sandwitch
  • Salad

(Ok, ok, the examples are crap. :wink: )

Hm. To me that’s basically using two kinds of punctuation next to each other. Both the comma and the ellipsis indicate something coming next, so why would you need both?

1 Like

:frowning:

Also… we are all on vacation… or have boring jobs!?
(Put some punctuation to stay on-topic)

1 Like

grafik

7 Likes

Pilli pilli or Chilli?
:hot_pepper: :hot_pepper: :dragon_face: :fire:

1 Like

The latter one. And since an hour I haven’t got any further. :wink: We should ask Ron if he could present some advertisements on these pages and give us the money. So we could earn money just with going off-topic the whole day. Full stop.

2 Likes

That’s why I said ‘if’ they are completing a sentence :wink:

We wouldn’t use a comma there – as I said it performs the same function as a bullet, so it’s not necessary. It may be a language variation thing like you say, though.

2 Likes