The X-Files 2018

Well at least the trailer made it look quite intense.

Remember I watch the german dubbing. I checked your post and I don´t remember that line. Will have to check later if I find how they translated that.

And about shipper bits. I mean they very obviously off screen boned in this episode(and possibly after it). But I guess that´s normal now?

Oh yes, good point…

I loved those shipper bits. I don’t know that you’re meant to assume they did it, though. It’s hard to tell, when they always had such a ‘sensible’ relationship beforehand. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just snuggled.

He was just getting dressed when he saw his double in the bathroom and she was nude under her sheet(which she wasn´t on any occasion when she slept alone) when he came back. That would be some snuggeling!

Also in the previous episode Mulder made a quick remark about handcuffs…

I liked the episode overall. The whole double stuff was creepy even though those who were responsible weren´t really all that intimidating.

Was she completely naked? Well you wouldn’t know that but I mean I thought there was a bra strap or something… Hm, maybe I didn’t want it to be true :thinking:

:rofl:

Oh yeah now I remember double-taking at that. It’s all a bit weird though. I found that a bit like hearing your parents make a dodgy reference to their sex life.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty solid. I liked the tone of it, too. Not too serious like a lot of Chris Carter’s episodes.

Nope, you saw enough of her shoulders to tell there most likely was none.

I´m sooooo sorry for reading “doggy” at first look! :fearful:

I tend to forget much about the second movie because I found it a major bore and it did feel less like X-Files but more like a middle of the road procedual.
But weren´t they outright living together in that one?

So while I’m tentative about them getting it on, you’re apparently imagining all sorts of things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It was pretty dire. But yeah, then they were - but after that in series 10 they were supposed to be somewhat estranged. I think that’s why I don’t like the idea of them casually, er, jumping back in the pool.

I feel like this needs further analysis, from a more lucid Katie. After eight hours’ sleep I shall come back to it :sleeping:

I actually quite like that they left it ambiguous enough to leave room for debate. Makes me wonder if there actually is some debate about that. Apart from us, that is.

But yeah I´m not in favour of that either. But they seem to be heavily teasing this season much more than the last. But since she already annouced her depature from the show while he did not they don´t have much of a future anyway.

Nighty night! :wave:

Mornin’! :dizzy_face:

I think it’s also because Chris Carter has always been so anti-shipper when it comes to Mulder and Scully. He references Moonlighting and the great chemistry between David and Maddie, and laments how it completely lost its edge when they got together (which I totally agree with - I stopped watching at that point).

But given their history, the fact they have no other partners, and particularly the storyline with William, I guess he forced himself into a corner where he had to acknowledge something between them – but just decided to keep most of it off-screen (which pissed off loads of people). It’s ended up a bit of a weird situation where no one quite knows what their relationship is. CC would probably say, ‘it’s complicated’ (as would Mulder and Scully’s Facebook profiles).

I like that that episode had shipper elements, but I miss the subtlety of the older episodes. I feel like they’ve reached Moonlighting status, just without it playing out on screen. I guess I’m a shipper in the sense that I like the chemistry and the will-they-won’t-they, but now that’s gone.

Yeah, perhaps that’s why they’re being more overt about it all. I hope the last few episodes aren’t rushed and crammed for that reason. It felt like that with the last one and that was when she was coming back!

To me a bigger problem of Moonlighting´s later episodes was that they shifted too much attention on annyoing sidecharacters which in bigger doses weren´t really all that funny at all. I watched it to the end but I´d rather have skipped the several episodes were either one or both of them don´t appear at all.

As for the X-Files I must say I probably have a rather unpopular opinion. When I rewatched big chunks of the show two years ago I felt that for their relationship to be interesting it would never have needed any romantic aspect at all.

The clash between the skeptic and the believer who in the end manage to get along is interesting enough. On top of that the fact that she originally was there to watch over “Spooky Mulder” because no one really trusted him, that she´s a woman almost half his size much younger than thim (although Scully is a bit older than Anderson) and has several opportunites to step out of his shadow and gain trust with him at the same time.

All that is interesting enough and I think the fact that Carter never wrote them any spouses might have come from a “married to their work” characterisation, especially in regards to Mulder´s character who you just can´t see a wife at home putting up with his fascinations.

It might have been actually interesting to add some relationships to both of them but that might have eventually again lead to more screwball situations of not so well concealed jealousy on both sides, which they kinda did now and then anyway when they noticed someone was a bit flirty towards either of them.

Anyway I agree that it´s become a bit blunt in the current season but it´s hard to maintain sublte tension for that long on the other hand.

Another thing is that nowadays in the german dub they refer to each other with the personal pronoun. They started saying “du” instead of “sie” when saying “you” I think when Mulder came back in season 9. Also in the second movie and now the last and current season. Which is kind of weird since they call them by their last names at the same time which you normally wouldn´t do when you use the personal pronoun. So even the translators are confused at this point.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s as unpopular as you think. At least not back in the day – I remember there being a lot of NOROMOs! You’re right that the juxtaposition of their characters was enough, and I still would’ve enjoyed it with just that. I just like that extra layer of closeness, which is kind of inevitable given all they’ve gone through together and that no one else could understand.

That’s interesting. It’s like they did that in line with when they (presumably) became a ‘couple’.

I think it has a different meaning with them, though. Kind of like pet names. I like that they do that :slight_smile:

Me too. It gives way to lines like “That´s my Mulder” which could be the title of a future sitcom spinoff.

Haha, yeah. And sounds much better than ‘That’s my Fox’.

BTW I hadn´t thought about that in almost 20 years but I remembered when I recently mentioned it that the title of Red Shoe Diaries in german was “Foxy Fantasies”…:upside_down_face:

How hilarious :joy:

Does ‘Red Shoe Diaries’ not translate very well?

No, I have no idea why they did that and I belive today they would leave it as it is with all those “Chronicles” and “Diaries” show titles these days. Might have been the diaries part.

I’ve just had to remind myself of why it’s called that.

The presenter and host Jake Winters (David Duchovny) is then shown walking on desolate train tracks with his dog Stella. He begins reading a letter from his post office box out loud that begins with “Dear Red Shoes…” He first took out the ad after the suicide of his fiancée, and his subsequent confrontation of the man with whom she was having an affair, a construction worker and shoe salesman who sold her a pair of red high heels, inspiring the ad. He placed the ad in the newspaper in an effort to understand why it happened and learn his fiancée’s reasons for killing herself through the stories of women in similar situations.

Bit of a flimsy premise.

I don´t think I´ve ever known that. All I remember was that the women sent him the stories per cypher (which really really dates the show!) and that code was “redshoes”. I remember it had quite a catchy theme song with saxophone.

1 Like

I’ve also just noticed there’s an episode called ‘The Bounty Hunter’! That would be a not-so-sexy cross-over…

See how juicy the X-Files have become this season that we´re talking about 90s softcore now! :flushed:

Indeed. It’s not the programme that I thought would lead to this! Mind you, some of the fanfiction back in the day…

1 Like