Translating art

That’s really much more that I would have guessed… :grimacing:

I would really like to contact the author and replace the font on dafont but…

Walter Velez
http://www.geocities.com/wvelezart/

Author: Walter Velez Author; Birthplace: Harlem, New York City, New York, USA; Birthdate: 28 November 1939; Deathdate: 24 August 2018

Aw… well, he won’t be forgotten.

Speaking of fonts, what do you use to create/edit fonts?

Oh :frowning:
Here is his latest homepage: waltervelezart.com (IA)

In total I’ve found 35 fonts in the game’s data.
Note: This does not include fonts which were solely used to generate images, like the mentioned title cards.

Some stats:

• 3 fonts cover most of the dialog.
  • 5 additional fonts are needed to cover the rest of translatable in-game stuff
  • 5 fonts to cover menus
  • 7 fonts for miscellaneous in-game stuff which does not need to be translated (e.g. sewer and phone book fonts, copyright, library book related fonts etc.)

I use mainly FontCreator is the most popular font editor for Windows.
Unfortunately I bought a license for version 9.1 right before version 10 came out and it does not include optimization of number of points so sometimes I use https://fontforge.org for that. I even tried to use FontForge more but I can’t get used to it. I don’t like its menu structure and the whole app feels “unpolished”.

On the other hand I miss many small details in FontCreator (more or customizable hotkeys!) so sometimes I dream about creating my own editor. :crazy_face:

The more similar apps you know the more dissatisfied you are with each of them. :wink:

1 Like

:gulp:

Have you tried asking them for a cheaper upgrade? A little bit of bargaining often works.

1 Like

Unfortunately I am really bad at bargaining. :smirk:

Me too, but just asking for an upgrade is quickly done.
Btw. they now have a “Upgrade Protection Policy”:

If you purchase the current version within 6 months of the release of a new version, you will receive the new version at no charge.

They have upgrade prices for 10 and onward, but it never hurts to ask if you could get an upgrade with a previous version like 9. Often they are happy to keep their customers.

Ah, way better.

2 Likes

I’m glad they changed their policy but I’m still waiting for the customizable hotkeys… =)

I hope so. =)

But please don’t change the tracking/spacing of “Desátá část”. If the text is too wide (is it?) I would definitely prefer using slightly smaller size instead.

FYI

I just wrote the title with the font you provided. Nothing less nothing more. It works very well.

My only question is how it’ll work for @RonGilbert as there is a text layer in the PSD file with a font that’s different from what he has. I could just remove the text layer and keep the rasterized image - but probably he’ll want to use the version 2.

Hm, that’s strange. Here’s how all the titles look (or should look) with default setting:

desátá-část

As far as I remember Photoshop always saves the rasterized version too. If the installed font is different Photoshop asks the user whether it should re-render it using the local font.

Maybe the text layer has reduced spacing, I didn’t check. I just cloned the English layer and changed the text, so it gets the same settings as the original one. I’ll check again this evening.

I had the same idea. The English version seems to be slightly “compressed” but not as much as the Czech ones (both old and new) so it’s not really clear what attribute got incorrectly copied.

You should just save the rasterized layer is the .PSD file, then you can you what ever font you want, as long as it has the same “feel”. Or check the .ttf you used into the Fonts folder. (As far as I know) the psd-tools doesn’t rerender the font, it uses the PS saved rasterized version anyway.

Just for your information - the “True Crimes” font is listed as “free” everywhere on the internet but Velez’s agent wrote me this:

As you know Walter Velez has passed away.
The True Crimes font is on many sites and has been for years.
I was his agent and am the agent for the estate of Walter Velez.

The way it always worked was that the font is free for personal use.
If it is to be used for profit, we ask for a fair price for usage, whatever
the person can afford. Walter’s wife still agrees to that.
(…)

Jill Bauman
agent for the estate of Walter Velez

It seems I may publish the revised version (I am still tweaking it) as long as the estate keeps the copyright etc.