Upcoming book: "The Art of Point + Click Adventure Games"

I admit I didn’t know… Incredibly, I had done the right moves back then, at first try!!

Looks like as we both have to play the game again… :wink:

1 Like

I guess, you all received news about the book… I placed it on FB page of the Fate of Atlantis SE… and for those who doesnt signed up … its here:

Welcome everyone. Thanks for signing up to find out more information about our latest book, The Art of Point + Click Adventure Games.

We’re absolutely delighted to announce that the one and only Gary Whitta will be writing the foreword in the book. Gary started his career in magazines, most notably launching PC Gamer magazine in the UK and then the US. More recently, he has worked with Telltale Games on its series of critically-acclaimed episodic adventure titles and also as a screenwriter in Hollywood, penning the likes of The Book of Eli and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. He was there, as a journalist, to witness the boom of adventure games and will be able to offer an utterly fascinating insight from both sides of the pond.

Although still in the early stages of development, we have already managed to secure an amazing roster of interviewees for the book. These include (in no particular order) Tim Schafer, William Tiller, Robyn Miller, Douglas Crockford, Billy Allison, Ron Gilbert, Amanita Design, David Fox, Aric Wilmunder, Richard Hare, Hal Barwood, Gary Winnick, Noah Falstein, Patrik Spacek, Mark Ferrari, Dave Gibbons, Jane Jenson, John Passfield, Simon Woodroffe, Steve Stamatiadis, Louis Castle, Gregg Barnett, Al Lowe, Bruce Schlickbernd, Brian Moriarty, Charles Cecil and Paul Cuisset - plus plenty more to be announced. The book will feature around 15 large interviews and around 15 smaller ones.

As you can see from the list, we will be covering titles such as Myst, Toonstruck, Discworld, Blade Runner, Gabriel Knight, The Flight of the Amazon Queen, Simon the Sorcerer and of course multiple LucasArts classics, such as The Secret of Monkey Island, The Dig, Maniac Mansion and Full Throttle. All of the most famous and iconic point + click adventures are going to be covered, as well as some lesser-known but still incredibly noteworthy games. The book will also look at recent example of the genre as well as home-brew efforts.

As a starting pagination, we’re looking at the book being 400 pages long. It will be hardback and the cover will be cloth-bound, with a metallic silver logo on the cover. In short, it’s going to look positively yummy on your shelf, coffee table or where-ever else you’d like to lay it down when you’re not reading it. Keep your eye out for more updates and if you have a favourite point + click that you would like to see covered, let us know on hello@bitmapbooks.co.uk. We’re still very much working on the project and there’s a chance you could influence the content in the final book! We’re currently aiming for a release of summer 2018.

Thanks Bitmap Books

4 Likes

What about creating a list of p&c games that we would like to see covered and send it to the publisher as the “Thimbleweed Park community” contribution?

I had actually been thinking of sending in some suggestions (incidentally, I had participated on a questionnaire put out by Bitmap Books a year ago or so, where I had suggested they bring out some genre-themed books, as I wasn’t really interested in any system other than the Amiga). But so far my “list” only has one entry, for the “modern” specimen. So if you want to compile a larger list, please add Memoria (who’d guessed :slight_smile:),

I pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition now on https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/collections/all/products/the-art-of-point-click-adventure-games :grinning:

1 Like

I am sure its possible…there is a contact on website. I am just afraid, they are almost done…

Me too. Since Sam Dyer is involved it’s gonna be great!

I hope they also mention modern games with such art like TWP, The Darkside Detective, Wadjet Eye Games games etc.

This book is such an excellent idea, I am definitely buying it. And actually, a documentary on P&C would be awesome.

2 Likes

A cheap PDF I could afford. It looks really great.

And I second that.

1 Like

I second the idea about a documentary about PnC. It could be directly released to vimeo or youtube. And be crowdfunded. I would give money to that!

1 Like

Crowdfunding. Like “From Bedrooms to Billions” did:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195082866/from-bedrooms-to-billions-the-amiga-years

The ordinary edition for me. I don’t need fluff for my books :slight_smile:.

As for Sam, I backed his Amiga game art book, and it was one of the most pleasant Kickstarter campaigns I witnessed. And the result is awesome too. He certainly knows his craft.

Just ordered the collector’s edition and the C64 compendium.

New interview with Sam Dyer about the book.

3 Likes

The book will be published in late August … approx. Its gonna be a excellent book!

From the interview it sounds as if it’s already being printed. My hope is that the pre-orders will arrive a little bit sooner. Not that a week or two make much of a difference. :slight_smile:

Indeed, it looks fantastic. I’ve never really participate in game related forums before, this forum is full of great info and nice people!

4 Likes

I’ve got one of theirs as well. The Commodore 64 one. Also the Gremlin 2 Hardback books. Very well printed.
Expensive but heavy as well.

Well, look-y here…

5 Likes