Upcoming book: "The Art of Point + Click Adventure Games"

I can’t wait for this book to be published. I have already purchased one of their books (the one about Amiga) and it was pretty well made.

14 Likes

Nice. I also have Sam’s Amiga book; wasn’t too interested in the other systems, as I never owned those. But this one I’ll be certainly keeping an eye on :slight_smile:.

I was asked to do interview for them… and I agreed. Love their book.

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads up, LowLevel. Had not heard of it and seems like the perfect book :slight_smile:

I guess it will be a perfect (better?) substitute for “The Art of Sierra” which seems like a dead project by now.

Which game is the one in the top right corner?

book pages

Simon the Sorcerer (1993) Future Wars: Adventures in Time (1989)
Beneath a Steel Sky (1994) Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (1987)
Interview with Steve Stamatiadis,
Flight of the Amazon Queen (1995)
some kind of retro-looking pixel-art game, probably
from this famous Gilbert from Wadjet Eye Games
4 Likes

Is Future Wars any good? It looks pretty amazing from screenshots…

Yes, the graphics are beautiful and the story is interesting. But the gameplay is frustrating: You have to find objects that are only a pixel big, there are timed events (for example you have to rescue yourself in milliseconds AFAIR on a tree) and it has some arcade mini games that you can’t skip.

If you can get the game for free, you should give it a try. But don’t invest too much money on eBay. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mmm, sounds a lot like hell on earth…

So you didn’t like Thimbleweed Park? All of this more or less exactly applies to TWP too! :slight_smile:

• You have to find pixel dust to get the related achievements.

• Ransome’s book page

• If you put a token into one arcade machine you have to play an arcade mini game :open_mouth:

Future Wars was a funny adventure game, but too much *beep*hole.
You could die for stupid and improbable things, like walking in the opposite direction from the monks.
I liked it until I was stuck in the ruins… searching for a 1-pixel-wide blowtorch.

Really? I don’t remember this part. I finished Future Wars using a walkthrough, but I don’t remeber it.

Like just pushing a button? What game are we talking about currently, I’m confused :slight_smile:

You were warned, before :smiley:
In Future Wars, no…

Hm… I played it over 20 years ago. :slight_smile: Wait a second, I’ll read the solution… Ah: Yes, I was right. :slight_smile: You have to climb up a tree at the beginning of the game. :slight_smile:

I still don’t remember. The game starts with the main character while cleaning windows:
immagine

1 Like

Here is the walkthrough at the corresponding scene (Warning! Spoiler ahead!):

Yes, but what was the problem? AFAIK, when the monk splashes in the water, you automatically woke up.

I loved that scene when I played it a few decades ago. That thing still feels like a glass skyscraper to me.

For example to find the rope. And doesn’t the monk kills/arrest you or something if you won’t climb on the tree?