Was TWP too ambitious? Too big/lengthy?

TWP is more the MI2 model, with a sprawling somewhat disorienting smorgasbord of things to do. If I didn’t get much of my enjoyment out of just looking at stuff I might well get bored with the sheer amount of puzzles that aren’t necessarily all that challenging or rewarding except for the dozens of different objectives you have to keep in mind.

There was also a minor plague of executing certain puzzles because they were obviously there to be solved without really knowing why you were doing it. Which didn’t bother me much, but I can certainly see how it could contribute to the game feeling a bit lengthy.

You could try some new games that take the genre in new directions, like Oxenfree and Life Is Strange, or of course Telltale’s masterpiece The Walking Dead that arguably revived the genre. :wink: There are also interesting innovations like Tacoma, even if I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that one, and I hear Return of the Obra Dinn is good too. The Monkey Island mold is a good one, but the genre stagnated a bit for some 20 years following its release. Or perhaps mainly for the following decade until it committed suicide.

We also seem to have plenty of great throwback games to go around. Unforeseen Incidents is an excellent example. The Wadjet Eye games come out regularly and they’re at least interesting if not simply good. Primordia and Unavowed are the stand-outs for me, but Shardlight, Technobabylon and Gemini Rue are worth a look.

/rant :slight_smile:

4 Likes