What constitutes success for TWP?

That’s a flawless logic. :slight_smile:

But I don’t like the idea of doing random actions of online guerrilla marketing without at least having an idea of what actual benefits it’s possible to get and if there are also negative side effects.

1 Like

Doing a quick search on tag spamming seems to indicate that tag spamming involves adding an excessively large amounts of tags to something. In this case, we’re talking about adding a single tag that is accurate (though only technically so with DOTT). Should nobody have added the “Point & Click” tag to Thimbleweed Park, lest other people do it and somehow spam the game with an appropriate tag? The only difference is the amount of coordination involved.

It’s not like we’re tagging it with “military shooter”, “zombie survival”, “minecraft”, “moba”, and a bunch of other inaccurate tags.

After thinking about it for a bit. Maybe you are right. I mean, must admit we are sitting here and coordinating this to boost his sales, not just to be helpful. I maybe got a bit too eager and stopped thinking proper. Sorry.

When ethics are involved, definitions become subjective so, to sum it up, some people will perceive a coordinated activity to influence an algorithm and to get an advantage as spamming and other people will not. My definition of spamming is personal and it has no value for other people. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“LowLevel, post:44, topic:993, full:true”]My definition of spamming is personal and it has no value for other people. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
That’s certainly true. I tried to use your definition of spamming to buy a Frappuccino, and it still cost me $4.95. Would it kill you do define your terms in US currency?

Can I use pieces of eight?

[quote=“LowLevel, post:46, topic:993, full:true”]Can I use pieces of eight?
[/quote]
Ok, so long as it can buy more than Near-Grog and easily corroded mugs.

Then tag only MI1, MI2 and TWP :smile:

The merits of the game are such that I will happily do pretty much anything to promote it.

I understand completely what you are saying, and at some level I feel the same. I think that perhaps it’s due to the baggage carried on by the genre itself.

You see, platformer games were typically a game console, while adventure games were always mostly a PC artefact. Moreover, the heyday of adventure games peaked much earlier than that of platform games, making the latter a bit closer to modern times.

dZ.

1 Like

Agree with you. Those tags are intended to classify games in useful ways for others to find what they are looking for.

Monkey Island and Thimbleweed Park are definitely related; the association between Day Of The Tentacle and Thimbleweed Park are extremely tenuous at best – via Ron Gilbert, that is.

dZ.

I think “extremely tenuous” is a bit much. There’s definitely a reasonable connection.

Perhaps a good tag to put on all these games as well though is Thimbleweed Park

Not of the tag is “Ron Gilbert.”

It’s not a stretch to associate the two. People who like DOTT would like Ron’s games of the same genre and Ron is personally linked to the franchise with Maniac Mansion.

But it’s not a matter of finding some technical link between the two. You know that linking them with the name is intended to suggest that they are made by the same guy – that is the whole point of this exercise. That to me is tenuous and disingenuous.

If you want to link them by author, mention Gary Winnick. If you want to link them by style, use a tag that suggests that. Even using “Maniac Mansion” as a tag for all three may be appropriate, since they are all related.

Otherwise, it’s just “tag spam.”

dZ.

Maybe tag “Lucas Arts”, whatever helps people find a good related game. It’s a public service, not spam.

I remember Ron stating that the next game should make $5M to be worth making. So, if TWP won’t make anywhere near that, the next game should be something else. More contemporary, maybe. I don’t think the UI is wrong, but maybe the pixel art is just too retro for the vast audience. I loved MI2, but once I saw the original art the game art was scanned from, I thought that game would have been really cool with the originals.

2 Likes

Peter Chan’s original backgrounds would have been a perfect choice for a real “remastered” version. :slight_smile:

I just took a look at it. The artworks look nice indeed, but, in my opinion, they are not as detailed as they probably would have had to be, if the game had had a higher resolution.

i think maybe the tagging worked? TWP is now suggested game for MI and MI2. Another thing we can do is write up a positive review on steam for TWP.

2 Likes