What could be a new adventure game from Ron Gilbert?

please… Ron and his colleagues needs to be independent. No more employments or contracts for those guys :slight_smile: free mind makes the best stories :slight_smile: lets give them some ideas …

1 Like

I already have written a few things here, but there are some further thoughts I would like to share:

• As @Festarossa wrote above, it’s fun to travel. In MI 1, the journeys and the different times of day show very well that you are making progress. Also, it makes the game feel even more like an adventure. It would be great to visit places where almost everyone would like to spend a vacation, such as coasts and mountains (similar to Indy and MI). I didn’t intent to mention MI once again, but the small islands from MI were the perfect setting, of course! In a new game, the island(s) wouldn’t necessarily have to be located deep in the caribbean so that it would not become a rip-off. For example, in Greece there are thousands of islands as well.
  • The story ought to be set at some time in the past, because the future isn’t clear enough and the present is usually boring. Also, nostalgia is usually more charming than science-fiction.
3 Likes

Something new and fresh.

Something that isn’t necessarily based in the past, the present or the future. That’s a needless limitation!

So, I read again the list of brainstorming ideas that the TWP team produced and I’ve decided that I really would like them to use the following story:

CRYPTOZOOLOGY HUNTER: The characters you play are a bunch of mythological creatures (based on those from the weekly world news) I.E.- the Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot, a UFO alien who’s crash landed on Earth, a vampire (bat boy), a ghost, a Chupacabra and Elvis. All you want to do is be left alone- but a group of tabloid Cryptozoology enthusiasts is very actively hunting you with new technology that’s practically impossible to evade for their new reality show. The creatures need to band together to stay anonymous & hidden.

One of the reasons why I like the cryptozoology topic is that in Thimbleweed Park there are at least three different citations of it.

Those characters would certainly make an interesting story and game.

One of the characters you referenced made me laugh because it reminded me of a fairly recent tweet by my favorite comic artist Graham Annable (aka grickle), I wonder if this is what they had in mind …

1 Like

Something that isn’t linked to already existing games. Something that is not self-referential (in the overarching adventure meta sense).

So I guess “The adventures of a Purple Slime Meteor” could not be a good adventure, huh?

I actually want to play BAD MATH from the brainstorm blog post.

1 Like

Have you played the Graham Annable “Puzzle Agent” games?

2 Likes

A noirish, hilarious spoof on hardboiled detectives.

1 Like

Of course! I loved the dark/comic style and mood. Too short though.

1 Like

No. It should be Bobbin McKracken and The Secret of Purple Slime Meteor.

4 Likes

One where you play the role of a hero and a villain (so you actually see half the story from the perspective of the villain) but the hero is really an anti-hero and the villain is not so much a villain so much as a misunderstood idealist. Bulletproof concept.

2 Likes

I love Grickle’s art. :slight_smile: I think that he really did a fantastic job at infusing in Puzzle Agent that special Twin Peaks atmosphere. He’s a master of storytelling when it comes to “disturbing things”.

4 Likes

You play as a detective solving a case.

Half way through you die.

You will continue to solve the case with another character, who is also a detective. But this character don’t know the things you, as a player, know.

Would be interesting, but would also drive the player mad. I imagine we would be yelling at screen “you moron, the murder weapon is right there, behind the desk! Why won’t you just look there!?”

3 Likes

One day I played with my band in a party center where they did several weddings and funerals at the same time.

We got lost in the building several times, entering the wrong weddings and everyone noticing only awkwardly much too late.

Similarly, my father was at the wrong funeral for nearly 30 mins one time.

I’m often fantasizing about what this would be like in a Lucas Arts style adventure game, with dialogs where you think you need to pretend to recognize people and feel like you are dementing, only to find out that you just walked into the wrong room.

1 Like

I know! I know!

Ron will make the Real Monkey Island 3™ despite not having the IP.

And if he gets sued by Disney, well, he goes to jail, where he won’t have to worry anymore about finding a job. And maybe they’ll even let him design new games while in jail! It’s bulletproof*!

*for values of “bulletproof” that don’t consider personal liberty as a valuable thing.

1 Like

Yeah, I was wondering if it would be possible to have 100% control but at the cost of a percentage of all future sales. I doubt that would sit well. I don’t know how all this stuff works anyway.

1 Like

I loved both of those games SO MUCH

You don’t go to jail for this, it’s a civil matter, not criminal matter. What they do is sue you into bankruptcy and I’d end of living in the streets, stealing food, and then I’d go to jail.

7 Likes