What's your favorite Italian TV show?

Unless the switch to digital has affected it or they changed for some other reason, then some Rai shows might be encrypted but for the most part the channels themselves aren’t. (Whether you can or could know in advance is another question…) I suspect it’s a matter of the same shows (like Casera CasaMika) that we can watch outside of Italy using the website vs those that we can’t.

Really interesting. If you can see also Canale 5, there’s a chance that you could see me in one of the current quiz shows (not yet confirmed though)

1 Like

I think Canale 5 used to be unencrypted at some point in the past (as well as Italia 1 and Rete 4).

Willing to be prime minister?

1 Like

None of the Mediaset channels like Canale 5: video, puntate, programmi tv | Mediaset Infinity allow streaming outside of Italy.

nice idea :joy:
No, I have been accepted to participate to the quiz show “caduta libera” on Canale 5.
They told me to do a casting. When? Still don’t know

3 Likes

Blame Berlusconi for that…
Anyway, try with an Italian proxy, it should work.

1 Like

It’s Disney and the other Hollywood studios… :slight_smile: The German TV stations are paying a lot more money than the TV stations in other countries just to be able to show their program unencrypted via the Astra satellite system…

They are? Heh, I always thought it was just 'cause it’s all dubbed anyway and except for some weirdos like me who might even watch the occasional German-dubbed movie that’s basically a turn-off. I mean, it is for me too, but the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is somehow even better in badly dubbed German. :stuck_out_tongue:

No, because the studios could/can make additional contracts with other German speaking countries.

But if they pay more because Pro Sieben has two or three versions (I recall Austria for sure, possibly also Switzerland?) then that’s subtly different than paying more just because.

Is there some kind of German law that forces them to be FTA?

The broadcast system in Germany is similar to the one in the UK: We have a German version of the BBC (in fact we have several small BBCs but they are working together :slight_smile: ) and private companies.

The BBC pendants (ZDF, ARD, …) are focused on the German market only. Due to the laws they are forced to make sure that everybody in Germany is able to receive their channels. The easiest way for them to achieve that is to not encrypt the channels.

Then we have the other companies like “Pro Sieben”. Due to our history most / a lot of Germans won’t pay extra for TV. Because the companies won’t like to lose viewers they made a weird compromise: They encrypt their channels with one exception: The channels in “standard definition” via Astra satellite are not encrypted. There is no law that forces them (It’s a little bit more complicated, but my whole explanations are boring enough. ;))

I don’t know exactly who has to pay how much more, but our “BBC versions” have to pay more - and I assume the ORF in Austria less - for a movie. Pro Sieben and other companies are buying the rights for all three countries, I assume.

2 Likes

Not really, besides the unnecessary explanation of the German public broadcasting system. :slight_smile:

That was especially meant for other readers of the forum. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the info, seriously, as a former journalist I’m always interested in these things. Also, in the 90’s I remember how unhappy I was, that all the unencrypted satellite channels with movies were German. I couldn’t stand dubbing. The only things I could enjoy were concerts on WDR and erotic phone advertisements : ).

1 Like

They are gone.

They are still there.

2 Likes

Gomorra is my favorite italian show.

1 Like

Last time I checked Rockpalast still was on.

2 Likes