Where does Thimbleweed Park rank for you?

twp is my favourite point and click adventure game !
i never got to play mi 1 & 2 properly when they first came out as i never had my own pc etc and was too young but have played remasterd versions ( sorry ron ) and when i did i used a walktgrough most of the time ( again im ashamed and sorry ) …thought the puzzles characters and overall feel of the game was fantastic, even managed to get 5 of my friends who don’t like this style of game hooked ! IMG_4315.png

1 Like

Top 5

1. The Secret Of Monkey Island
  2. Thimbleweed Park
  3. Monkey Island 2
  4. Zak McKracken
  5. Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis

It’s in the running… I prefer more out-and-out sci-fi and fantasy games, so just for that reason I can’t put it over some other games, but it’s definitely in the solid “top 15 of all time” (gonna kinda cheat and put series and their sequels as single entries)…

1. Monkey Island 1 and 2
  2. Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2
  3. Space Quest 3, 4, and 6
  4. Beneath a Steel Sky
  5. Flight of the Amazon Queen
  6. Fate of Atlantis
  7. Day of the Tentacle
  8. Toonstruck
  9. Grim Fandango
  10. Sam and Max
  11. Monkey Island 3
  12. Thimbleweed Park
  13. Broken Age
  14. Full Throttle
  15. The Dig

I only played a few of these as a kid/teenager (MI, SQ4, FoA, DotT), most of them I played for the first time in the last few years, so they’re still very fresh to me.

At the bottom, way way down the list would be truly frustrating games like King’s Quest 3 and snoozefests like Broken Sword.

1 Like

Nice list here. I have to ask… did you really rate Simon 2?? I replayed that game recently and was quite disappointed, especially with the first half of the game. I think Simon 1 is awesome. It’s just far more exquisitely laid out and has a much better focus (for my money).

1 Like

I agree Simon 1 is a lot more focused, though I kind of like how random and disjointed Simon 2 is (it reminds me of the movies Gremlins 1 and 2, in how 1 is a really tightly constructed movie and 2 is all over the place but a lot of fun).
I think 1 and 2 are both really enjoyable games and yeah, Simon 1 is probably the “better” game from a technical angle.

Surely every player would have two lists. A list based on the memory we have of when we play the games and a second list replaying them now. No doubt there will be interesting differences between the two lists.

This is something I’ve been putting to the test but actually my orders of preference are more or less the same.

1 Like

Like I say, the first time I ever played Simon 1 and 2 (and most adventure games) was just a couple of years ago, so I don’t think I’ll have changed my opinion that much since then. And the handful I did play as a kid, when I replayed them recently they were pretty much as good (or in some cases as bad) as when I first played them.

Please pay attention: even if I tried, I wasn’t able to exclude my emotional participation in judging.
A value is given not only looking at intrinsic quality, the socio-cultural context, but also at the individual context of personal experiences. A thing is a thing to me also for the things of which it resonates.
(When listed together the titles are in order of shipping)

1. The Secret of Monkey Island
  2. The Curse of Monkey Island
  3. Zak McKracken and The Alien Mindbenders - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
  4. Maniac Mansion Deluxe - Loom - Full Throttle - Thimbleweed Park
  5. La Abadìa del Crimen 32 bit
  6. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - Sam & Max Hit the Road - Beneath a Steel Sky - Dig - Broken Sword
  7. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - Day of The Tentacle - Grim Fandango
  8. Lure of The Temptress - Machinarium

I might be naive but if they really added small talk between playing characters when they enter the same location, I don’t think I can name a game which is better than TWP.

This:

1. Grim Fandango

2. Original Monkey Island series

3. Machinarium, Thimbleweed Park, Broken Age

4. Beneath a Steel Sky, Day of the Tentacle, The Journey Down 1 + 2, Broken Sword series, Leisure Suit Larry

5. The Silent Age, Hector

Did not like:
Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, Luminocity, Sword & Sorcery, The Last Express, Bonaticula, Ghost Trick, Tiny Thief

I would like to add that Broken Age, Grim Fandango and Thimbleweed Park had the most satisfying endings, because each in their own way they have this metaphysical twist that fits with the surrealistic, fourth wall breaking nature of P&C adventure games.

Thimbleweed park and Monkey Island seem to have the best puzzle design and I remember the Journey Down as having really good puzzles, too.

I love Grim Fandango for its style, story and atmosphere.

I think Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer should still make a dream couple for creating another P&C adventure.

1 Like

You mean Lumino City (http://www.luminocitygame.com/)? Could you (short) explain why you didn’t like the game? I haven’t played it (yet) but I have read many negative comments.

It looks beautiful, but puzzle design, story and general ‘feel’ are wonky.

1 Like

Its hard to rank them they each have their merits, but somewhat like this:

1. Thimbleweed Park
  2. Loom
  3. Maniac Mansion
  4. Zak McKraken
  5. The Dig
  6. Monkey Island 1
  7. Monkey Island 2
  8. Day of the tentacle
  9. Indy and the last crusade
  10. Indy and the fate of Atlantis

Edit: Updated the list.

1 Like

Why on Earth would non-text verb list games no be included (in the realm of PnC adventures)???

I don’t think we should restrict ourselves so stringently with needlessly acute categorisation.

Yeah, you are right. Loom is number 2 then.

1 Like

TWP is among my personal top 5:

1. Monkey Island 1
  • Monkey Island 2
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Thimbleweed Park
  • Curse of Monkey Island

There are also other great SCUMM games, of course! This is just my top 5. :wink:

@Nor_Treblig Uh. Oh. Not again!

To Thimbleweed Park team:

Do you mind to amend the typo of the message #1307 (Mrs. Annie Fox)?

Thank you very much! :sunglasses:

That’s already more than two months ago! :open_mouth:

Slackers!

Soon there will be a whole family of McKrakens, roaming the seas…

1 Like