Where does Thimbleweed Park rank for you?

Thanks very much. I am taking great care to avoid spoilers. :+1:

My fellow countrymen already explained, but still: yes, we do.

Like “my legs make me James James” :laughing:

Literal translation of “le gambe mi fanno Giacomo Giacomo”, which means “my legs are trembling”

1 Like

I speak no more : https://it.pinterest.com/pin/722264858959616262/

Edit:

1 Like

Or more properly: my legs make me Jack Jack, since it comes from a comic sketch by three popular italian comedians, Aldo Giovanni e Giacomo (Al, John and Jack)

I’m perplexed: why “ambulance” in German is
RETTUNGS-WAGEN?
It sounds so harsh… :astonished:

I’m pretty sure the saying predates the comic trio :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, Rettungswagen literally means “rescue car”. I prefer “Krankenwagen”, which is “car of the ill”.

Zak McKrankenwagen.

1 Like

Rettungswagen is the ofificial name, what it says on the side. But generally Krankenwagen is what everyone says.

Germans tried to distance themselves more and more from the roman languages over the years. Other than the spanish, italian or the french.

Yes I myself don´t get it. The thing I get the least is that when there are words for something we just combine another word and add “stuff” to it.

Vehicle becomes Fahrzeug (Drivestuff)
Aeroplane becomes Flugzeug (Flystuff)
Lighter becomes Feuerzeug (Firestuff)

When you do that in english it sounds incredibly stupid. In germany for some reason hardly anyone questions it.

Oh but we´ve got Goethe and Schiller of course. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Fussbodenschleifmaschinenverleih

Yeah, another one of those words no one ever uses. I know there is a lot of those floating around in different places that are incredibly long and a combination of at least 5 (as in this case) words or more*. Yes that´s technically possible, but not the way ANYONE speaks I can assure you.:wink:

*Edit I just remembered one “Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher” that is a word but everyone says “Eieröffner”

1 Like

Piano Affitto Levigatrice ?!?
What should that mean?

Concrete Floor Grinder Rental in english. I bet you have a four letter word for that.

This is this little thing btw:

Because you tried to pronounce it your (the italian) way. :slight_smile:

Beside that, we in Germany are able to create new funny words from existings words. For example “Saftschubse” (Slang for “Flugbegleiterin” = Flight attendants).

And btw: There are enough words in your language that sounds harsh too. :wink:

1 Like

And you probably haven’t heard the dialect spoken in my town: it sounds very harsh even to say: “hello how are you” :smiling_face::smiling_face:
Every location is a micro world…

To my italian friends who I might have offended:

I´m not sorry.

It’s hard :slight_smile:

For what?

Right, that´s a four letter word! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That´s the attitude I was looking for.