Will the Thimbleweed Park "project" stop now?

I may have posted this before…

Aren’t there enough adventure games with pirates around? :wink:

I can’t be sure of it, but I’m under the impression that the real/main glue is not the game but its authors.

What I’m already observing is a community that talks about adventure games, narrative-based games, puzzle games, game classics of the past, game design, game art and a bunch of completely unrelated topics, all managed by the authors. That’s why I think that it could be possible to keep doing it even if there will be no new game, assuming that Ron & Co will hang around here a bit, like they already do.

Nah, it’s the game, at least for me. The authors are very cool, and I am thrilled to bits that they participate and open up to their fans; but the game is what keeps me here, and is the common ground between us.

I know there are Ron Gilbert die hard fans here, but that’s not necessarily the majority (I could be wrong).

Besides, there already is a channel for them, and the audience that follows the authors on Tweeter or Facebook is different.

2 Likes

I agree with @DZ-Jay. And I don’t know Ron in person (I never met him), so I can’t be a fan of him. :wink:

1 Like

I’m not talking about being a fan of somebody. I’m saying that I have the impression that being interested in the game was for many people a consequence of the fact that it was developed by Ron Gilbert & Co. and that the authors might help this not-just-TWP community to grow even if there will not be a new game on the horizon.

It depends - what are we? Adventure game fans? It seems so, given the topics we take part in.
And Ron is THE adventure game master, so of course most of the interest originally came from that.

However, since most of us are also developers [citation needed], if Ron decided to make the engine available (hoping :star_struck: hoping :star_struck: hoping :star_struck:) that would be something not completely TWP-related that would keep the community going even without any new game by the team. Since we’d all be discussing the engine and the games created with it.

For me it´s both.
The game - of course. It´s fantastic and get´s better each time I play it.
But it´s too to be able to get insight into the whole development process - what does that mean, I make a game?
(speaking for the development blog pre forum times) Since I´m no developer.

Maniac Mansion, Zak MacKracken (not the one with the tentacles) and especially Monkey Island are a huge part of my childhood memories and they are “guilty” in making my personal humor the way it is now. I´m now 38.
The guilt absolution from kickstarter - just brilliant. It´s on the wall behind me on my workspace besides a picture of the three headed monkey.
It is just awesome to see (read) what the ones that are responsable for these games and for TWP think about our ideas and other talkings here and to get in contact, too. The ones that came up with all this crazyand lovely ideas they brought into these games. The ones that made me laugh so much.

I love(d) it to be able to give instand fedback for this game, since I think maybe the whole team did never have something like this while making their other games in the past.
Being in touch with some of the team members through this forum gave us more background information for TWP and even for some of the classics that I (we) maybe could never expect in the wild.

So for me it´s all of this, the game and the warm feeling I get here together with others like me, knowing that we are not alone :slight_smile:

Even if I read much more than I write, but I´m here every day, like I was on the development blog since two years.

5 Likes

Which one it that?

EDIT: you know ZacMcKraken

1 Like

krakenZak

3 Likes

Does the “Clash of the Titans” Kraken even have tentacles? Actually haven´t seen that movie in a while…

The old movie, you mean? I don’t remember tentacles.

Haven´t seen the new one or it´s sequel.

Really? What about other adventure developers? Like Dave Grossman? Tim Schafer? The Two Guys from Andromeda? Roberta Williams? Al Lowe? …

I would add also Jensen and Cecil.

And the other Gilbert (Dave?).

Dave Gilbert games are very good and I loved the Blackwell series, but I think that adventure game aficionados attribute more authority to the Sierra and Lucas developers who defined the genre of point-and-click graphical adventure games.

David Fox?

1 Like

The names in my list were just examples. :slight_smile: Of course I would name far more people if I have to write a “real” list. :slight_smile: