Thimbleweed Park development blog has been locked down

The development blog has been locked down, or more specifically the comment sections:
Thimbleweed Park Blog - Locking It Down

I haven’t found anyone mentioning this yet… which may be because somebody didn’t update the RSS feed…

He said the game is entering a new phase( and a strong one) what does that mean??

I would guess that the development phase has come to and end (= it enters the maintain phase) and that the sales on Switch are very good (= strong sales).

4 Likes

So can we expect some DLC?? History of the Characters?More mini games in Arcade??

I doubt that. It would be more likely that Ron is working on something completely different. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What Someone said…
Ron wrote that it enters a new phase of its life and that (its life) is a strong one. I.e. sales are stills going strong or are expected to have a very long tail.
TWP is mature now and won’t see new DLC and perhaps not even patches anymore. Development is over. Any remaining bugs now are intentional :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unless Ron is going to release his TWP engine now…
:star_struck:

3 Likes

Why would you like to see this, resp. what would you do with the engine?

1 Like

Fix all its shortcomings, like not being able to use the arcades as fancy game launcher.
Oh wait, that’s what I would do.

…Maybe writing fan fiction stories in the TWP universe?

3 Likes

Then you assume that Ron releases the graphics too?

And why couldn’t you make fan fiction stories with another existing engine - or your own engine?

1 Like

Because modding an existing game is much easier.

1 Like

Only if you have the game data and the game scripts. And it’s unlikely that Ron will release these two things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s so good to read that the game is having a much better tail than the predicted so-so tail just after release! I’m glad because the devs deserve as much success as they can get, the game was awesome!

And I’m also glad because there is a tiny bit of hope that we might see more games like TWP in the future :beers:

3 Likes

That is why I hope the engine (not the game data/graphics,…!!) is released.
It would allow creating entirely new games by people with artistic and scripting skills (but lacking engine programming skills)

2 Likes

To make my own adventure game, of course.

Current existing adventure game engines are targeted mostly to non-developers. The TWP engine seems to suit perfectly my needs.

3 Likes

But why don’t you develop your own? Don’t forget that you have to learn and dig into the TWP engine (and maybe to modify it). So you don’t save that much time compared to your own engine where you have the full control over the source code.

Beside that: Have you tried other engines? Visionaire for example is used in bigger projects and not targeted to non-developers.

It’s in my plans, but it takes a lot of time. Most of the time will be spent in basic but not so trivial tasks, like deciding what kind of walkables to implement, the pathfinding, the structures and so on, plus settling on an input/output library that is easy to use and possibly cross-platform so you can publish for mobile too.
As I already have implemented my own engine quite some time ago, I know that a good engine like TWP’s will take a lot of time.

It will take less time anyway. There was even a wiki about it (it’s down right now, but I suppose it will be up again if they release it), but having followed the blog and having read parts of the wiki when it was online, I know it will be easier.

Yes I have, and I didn’t like them. Visionaire offers too much for my tastes, while I’d stick to the classic 9-verb interface, so an engine tailored for this would be faster to use. But most importantly, most engines are softwares, they offer a GUI where to work and have also tools fo

Ron’s engine was a collection of tools, that helped in defining things like rooms, but the whole script had to be written by hand. It’s exactly what I’d implement for myself.

Plus, it’s written by Ron. I think we can all agree that he knows what he does, at least in the field of adventure games :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s strange, all my copies of the game come with both game data and scripts (alhough the latter ones are compiled).
With full access to the engine source code it should be easy to inject any code, scripts or native, modify anything I want etc.

The main benefit of having the engine is being able to port the game(s!) to future platforms, like SwitchOne (no? bad name?), without immense effort.

And you can use the graphics, sounds and the scripts for free in your own game? And then you can even publish that game in the internet? Interesting. I didn’t know that. Ron is really generous.

Sounds like some days of fun with a decompiler …

What would you like to modify? Can you give an example?

Indeed. That’s the only useful use case I can think about at the moment.

Have you never seen a fan game before? And yes, nowadays people use the Internet to put such stuff on it.

Also: Try and stop me.

Also: I don’t need to publish any game data, I can just extend and modify them like the Ultimate Editions.

I already gave the example of the arcades: It would be easy to add hooks and execute whatever code I want, like pausing the game and executing some configurable processes.