Will we get a new game from Ron Gilbert and Team in near future?

Let’s agree to disagree then. Trying is not the same as experimenting or considering different options (knowing upfront you only will select one if them). It seems you forget about one crucial thing that prevents all of us from casually trying and creating things: money. Money you need to pay the bills and food and shelter. If not for those things, I would be trying to be a recording artist, a painter, a writer and other more fun and creative things than my current solid job.

1 Like

Money can prevent you from trying - but in less cases as you think. You can be a recording artist, a painter, a writer, or do other creative things.

First, you can do this beside your job as a hobby. Go and buy paint, a canvas and draw! If you won’t do this just for fun, go out and sell you paintings.

Second, you can quit your job instantly and be a painter. Maybe you won’t be that successful. But you are a painter and if you are not too dumb, you can live from it. For example sell your paintings to tourists at the beach or in a pedestrian zone. There are many ways to make money with your passion. Not that much as the manager of Disney, of course, but enough you can live from it.

The problem is, that we think we can’t do something due to money or other reasons. But if we really try, we will see, that it will work and that you can pay your bills. If you want to be a writer, publish your books via Amazon. If you want to be a recording artist, buy a used guitar and play in small bars. (I recommend the novel “A Long Way Down” from Nick Hornby.) In most cases there are ways to do exactly what you love to do. And if you fail, you can still do (or try :wink: ) something else.

Talking about Yoda’s off-topic, my interpretation of those words is that you must do things convinced of success in order to achieve such success, avoiding making them with your self-imposed doubts, since those doubts may be the ones that lead you to failure.

2 Likes

and think of the fun when they repossess your house :blush:

(joke stolen from TWP’s podcast. How I loved them!)

1 Like

Well. Yes. You have to use your brain, of course - unless you want to win the Darwin Award.

I firmly believe I might one day be the first living person to receive that one, I feel like I´m really close now already due to all my “efforts”…

I think that the conclusion is we aren’t getting a game from them for at least 2 years.
Which is very sad :frowning:

The issue is that noone knows about the non-succesful, less-talented (not necessarily), less-smart but no less passionate artists that die poor and unhappy from an overdose. Or get their houses repossesed.
Sometimes one has to make sacrifices to take responsibility (children) and that’s when artistic dreams become a hobby rather than a goal you want to achieve no matter what.
Look what you did, now I’m depressed…

In my fantasy world I’m already playing Terrible Toybox’s next game.

It’s a real-world exciting treasure hunting game in which you have to visit several places in your city to get hints and follow clues. The ending is a bit underwhelming, though, because after all that outdoor activity you discover that you were actually playing a virtual reality game.

Playing with your mobile, using GPS and/or QRcodes to advance! :wink:

Yes, this thread did turn out to be a bit depressing…

I would just like to say that whenever and whatever the next game is by @RonGilbert I’ll buy it. I’m sure many of you feel the same.

Of course I would love a new TWP style Adventure Game, but Scurvy Scallywags is still pretty fun, too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have Scurvy Scallywags, almost finished.
I have achieved every achievement, except one:

• resurrection from death

I never figured out how to do it.

The idea that changes the equation could be a fusion between MMORPG and adventure? this way you innovate, and at the same time it’s reasonably immune to piracy and let’s play.

Maybe coupled with your new UI. (which, by the way, sooner or later we’d all like to know)

(BTW, personally I’d prefer if you’d cut the costs choosing another style. I’d buy TWP2 in text form, with no graphics, at the same price. But you’d have just me as costumer.)

Elaborating: maybe the puzzles are designed to require two characters to act in parallel (like the antenna puzzle in TWP, or like all the puzzles in gobliins 2). So in order to play you need to have a partner online (like in Ruzzle). (Yes, you need to be both online in order to play: like when you book a tennis court you need to have a partner.)

You make yourself depressed, because you think extreme negative. I know at least two not famous musicians who had kids (one of them had three children). If you do something with love, then the chances are very high not to starve hungry.

A lot of non-successful, less-talented, less-smart people are trying to get famous or rich, not a job as an artist. And primary these people are dying at an overdose or they stand on the stage in the TV show “American idol”.

btw: It sounds that you want to be an artist? :slight_smile:

I know a lot more than two non-famous, talented musicians, most having kids, all having steady jobs to pay for it all. But as a consequence they cannot spend as much time to their arts as if they were “rich and famous” and not having a 9 to 5 job. I do include myself in that list. But we’re all content with that. We realised years ago that our 15 minutes of fame will never happen and that’s fine. It’s called realism. Just as the Creator of Monkey Island, despite being famous and presumably as rich as Guybrush at the start of MI2, doesn’t automatically have the financial liberty to just make games without risks.
And once there are children in the equation, you happily reduce the risk - I have a more than 3 and would give both arms, sight and hearing for them. Now, if my significant other would earn shitloads of money or I would play and win the lottery… but again, realism. In another world where taxes and economics, advertising and profits aren’t as important and inevitable as in ours… I’d happily play the minstrel and you would all buy me a hot meal and ale in return.

Anyway, to return back to the on-topic: I would very much love to see more P&C adventure games from Terrible Toybox, but I also can understand that us fans wanting and even financially supporting that through KS isn’t necessarily making it a reality.

4 Likes

Wow. You sound very frustrated. I assume you have a good reason for that, so I won’t argue on that off-topic any more.

I second pretty much all of Sushis sentiments.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken that should be pretty easy. Every time you die it asks if you want to be resurrected, and you just have to have enough gold to do so.

Maybe you haven’t died enough :grin:

Are you a psychiatrist by education, by any chance?
Anyway, I am neither depressed nor frustrated. (Or maybe I am just in denial :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) I only exagerate a bit to illustrate my point or I add some sarcasm to lighten up the heavy stuff I was writing about. Sorry if that got misinterpreted.
I encourage everyone to be more creative, live out their dreams and worry less. And never give up trying. Just don’t be envious of your neighbours bigger car/house/whatever if you do. Remember that (s)he has given up a lot for it and isn’t necessarily more happy in the end. But also respect the decision of people who do not like to take risks. There are more ways to live life than colors in a computer game. Depending on your model, that number may vary.

@RonGilbert, now finish the iOS port of TWP, take a few weeks off to get inspired and get cracking on the next game! Look into your heart, you know that it is your destiny

1 Like