Your favorite adventure game soundtracks

Opinion:

LTTP is number 1 or 2 depending on the day of the week but the later Zelda games have way better dungeons with much more satisfying puzzles. LTTP puzzles don’t add much, but it’s just an amazing game. OoT is a less ambitious LTTP with better dungeons. The Overworld/Underworld dynamic (or whatever) is more satisfying than the present/future dynamic of OoT. The one I like as much as LTTP is WW but TP and MM have better dungeons… still several I’m yet to play and I’ve heard great things about BotW.

On topic:

1 Like

Close to a quarter of a decade on, I´m still proud of myself of figuring out how to make the boss in Dungeon 4 in The Dark World appear, don´t take that away from me please!

Edit:

Bonus Rant:

I just cannot believe the number of people who are not able to figure out to drop the block on the switch in the ice palace from the hole in the above floor. Some actually believe you have to get the the cane of somaria first to solve this (ie play dungeon 6 BEFORE 5).

Edit 2:

To not be completly off topic:

*wipes tear away

1 Like

:cry: Say it ain’t so!

As I´ve said I don´t feel like arguing about the Zelda franchise besides…

Oh boy, those oscilloscope version are great! It’s like directly looking into the soul of SID… :delores: (how cool is that over DOS bleeps from a PC speaker, @PiecesOfKate?)

I nominate this one too for great adventure game music:

And that ocean loader brings back many memories to similar generic but great loader music.

1 Like

Looking at those for the first time blew me out of my shoes, the selection of tunes is also really good. Makes you appreciate the technique behind it even more.

See also: how oldschool music works

1 Like

With that video is now clear which were the four available waveforms on C64:

• square
  • triangle
  • saw teeth
  • white noise
    Only those four. How many songs were produced with just those four effects…

That’s a really interesting vid. Not come across that channel before - I’ll have to check out more of his stuff.

I pretty much watched all of it. Good stuff, in parts very technical stuff explained in a way that´s easy to understand.

1 Like

Well there is this…

I recently watched a Lucas Arts Panel, where someone asked how they did stuff that was thought impossible on the C64, the answer was “We didn´t know it was impossible so we just did it!”

2 Likes

Whoaaaa! That game!!!
I had a bootleg, translated in italian, back then, on a cassette tape. But it’s made with the usual 4 waveforms. Or not?

Nope only two sawtooths (saw teeth?)

1 Like

It´s official, anyone who talks down on my beloved SID I will fight to the death!

1 Like

Button + direction opposite to face, if I remember correctly, in order to make a turn and cut off the head!

Correct! But I think I did it by accident the first time and couldn´t repeat it for quite a while.

Just this mere description was enough to know which game you were talking about! Good ol’ days!

1 Like

How many good tunes here!
As far as I know (Thimbleweed Park has been my come back to the genre after a long time) the iMuse system of musical transition is unequaled, so that adds to the beautiful tunes of Monkey Island 2 a surplus of unexpected raciness and joy for the ears, like it was a living orchestra making variations on the theme following the particular playtrough of the player. And I could listen to the w3sp piano covers on youtube for hours.

Since I don’t want to repeat the tunes listed yet (they are many), I’ll say:

• in Thimbleweed Park, the version of the tune heard in radios and in the boombox known as “No Quarter”, sung by Steve Kirk in person (!!!) with lyrics by mr. Kauzlaric, available only for the buyers of the original soundtrack;
  • the fm-towns version of the Nepal music in Zak McKracken, minute 13:36 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QatR2P4eZWs
  • in Curse of Monkey Island, the music of the Barbery Coast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eapJ1fbh3XA
1 Like

While I really like that tune I ask myself: Is this distinctivly indian sounding music (sitars, tablas and the like) acurate for nepal?

Oh actually you metioned it before :slight_smile: that’s a good question. Probably it’s more a stereotype than a real thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Nepal

1 Like

It might be the proximity to Tibet, or Budhism and Hinduism having common roots. I don´t know. It probably works better than using actual tibetan music. Because the hindu music feels right.

A bit like the Monkey Island theme which has a distinct reggae feel to it. While that kind of music is associated with the carribean it of course wasn´t around until…I wanna say the 1960s because it must have been there at least for a while before the international breakout that came in the early 1970s with the likes of Bob Marley and Desmond Dekker and of course the movie The Harder They Come.

1 Like