50 ways to tell you are an adventure game geek

How did I miss this topic?

#46 - the Woodtick Theme is now the standard lullaby song in your house
#51 - your daughter asks you to tell her a fairy tale and you begin with “once upon a time, deep in the Caribbean”
#52 - you became a professional software developer because you always wanted to create adventure games since you first played Monkey Island
#53 - you made an adventure game and you’re constantly thinking about how to rewrite your engine
#54 - you almost cry tears of joy when you see your 3yo daughter solve a puzzle all by herself (thanks, Freddi Fish 4)

3 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

#1 way to tell you have succeeded at parenting. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @milanfahrnholz! It’s been a real treat for me to read everyone’s comments, and interact with you. Something that’s still kind of new to me since we didn’t have that back in the 80s and early 90s.

8 Likes

You know, Monkey Island is actually a wonderful story if told right. It’s just difficult to make it linear and strip some of the puzzles off, but my daughter loved it :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I can imagine that :slightly_smiling_face: I imagine some of the puzzles work in story form too, though probably not all of them, like you say!

Having puzzles in a story can definitly work. Edgar Allen Poe´s The Golden-Bug is a treasure hunting adventure story, that has quite a bit of puzzles in it.

1 Like

I was just about to say I’ve never come across that one, then checked my Poe book. Yep, second one in there :expressionless:

1 Like

Maybe you read backwards and haven´t reached the beginning, yet?

Yes. What he said.

The story of “The Secret of Monkey Island” is the perfect tale for children and for adults who want to be briefly transformed into children.

2 Likes

Great link, thank you!!!

There is a lot of interesting other stuff in that website; here is a related post that I published a few months ago:

That´s great. The hint books for Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken are also written in prose, they´re fun to read, really almost like novelizations.

Awesome link! Who knew Guybrush was British?

Well, blimey!

1. When you are talking about cartoons of the '80s, and you realize that “The Monkey” (*) by Osamu Tetzuka makes you think of “The Secret Of Monkey Island”.

(*)

1. When your 6-year-old looks at a mountain view in blueish colors during a hike, points and says “I know this! The circus must be there. And that tower with the red blinking light should be over there on the right”.
    And then he starts to hum the theme song of TWP.
8 Likes

You good father!

1 Like