A Thimbleweed Park story, by a "pure" user

Why not? I recommend it. It’s a lot of fun and not as hard. A lot of people are looking to experience the game without getting bogged down in such deep puzzle chains as in hard mode.

I bought a copy of the game for my father, and he is loving it. He is playing it in Casual Mode. I have described to him a few of the hard mode puzzles by contrasting them to the casual ones, and his response has been mostly, “wow! I could never have gotten that! It was hard enough as it was!!!”

He has even gotten stuck a few times.

dZ.

If there is a slight chance you would want to play the harder mode then IMHO you should never start with casual.

1 Like

I disagree. My nephew played the Casual mode and really enjoyed it. Then later played Hard mode and loved it too.

My Father has played Casual Mode almost twice (he had to restart the game half-way when I bought it for his own iPad), and is talking about starting Hard Mode afterward.

One of my friends that bought it, is currently playing Casual Mode. I have explained to him the differences by relating and contrasting some puzzles he’s seen already and he says he would like to play Hard Mode some day, but that he is fine with Casual Mode right now.

I played Hard Mode a few times first, and then Casual Mode and enjoyed it in both. Then during the iOS beta phase, I played the betas several times in both modes and enjoyed it.

The notion than one game mode spoils another or whatever is purely a hardcore adventurer mentality, not universal.

dZ.

She just found the book! :smiley:

“OK, it’s only a game, but… how can she [Delores] see it? It’s a book of the deads, and only the deads could see it!!”

Now I’m trying to explain her that her assumption was wrong… geez, never contradict a woman…

Naturom Demonto roughly translated: Book of the Dead…

Don’t say that to a woman!

(Unless she wears white sneakers. In which case, tell her “you are worthless and I pity you”).

Of course you can enjoy multiple playthroughs.

But after completing hard mode the first time all puzzles are spoiled and unless your memory really really really sucks you will remember them.
When completing casual mode as first playthrough then of course all casual mode puzzles are spoiled for the next playthroughs, but also quite some hard mode puzzles too which is IMHO the not-so-nice-thing about starting with casual modes.

Yeah yeah, stop bragging :slight_smile:

Now, that´s oddly specific…

My point is that “puzzles are spoiled” is not a problem to most people, who enjoy the experience anyway.

It’s like when some people say “don’t tell me about the movie, you will spoil it for me!!!”

That’s mostly a “nerd” thing in the internet. To many people, knowing how a movie develops or ends does not change their enjoyment of it, probably because they don’t put so much focus on the “surprise” as the basis for their enjoyment.

In the case of puzzle games, I say that it’s a very “hardcore” notion that knowing the solution to a puzzle is a bad thing. Most people put a larger premium on the story or full experience.

This is the reason why a lot of people can fall in love with a game even when they only played it using a walk-through. That may be a completely incomprehensible thing to some, but just doing it on one’s own is not necessarily a valuable thing to a lot of people.

dZ.

Oh I hate those people… :stuck_out_tongue:
Next you will tell me there are people (monsters) out there who can enjoy recordings of sport games even if they know the results!

He has a thing about white sneakers.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s much worse than that! Some people don’t enjoy sports at all!!! :scream:

dZ.

1 Like

I think that this is very true. I’ve seen several people enjoying TWP following a walkthrough and to them the fact that there is an easier mode and an harder mode is almost irrelevant, because they focus on the story. That’s why I also think that explicitly informing them that “Hard” is the full story might help them to decide which version to play.

Why do you hate white sneakers?

What is worse: white sneakers or the… risvoltini ? (I can’t translate those in English, maybe “cuffs” ?)
immagine

1 Like

I hold this truth to be self-evident.

(by playing Phantasmagoria.)

But don’t you see that that is your own opinion? I disagree, I think “Hard” mode is just what it says on the tin: longer and harder puzzles with deeper puzzle chains. The full story you get in either mode.

That is my opinion, formed from having played both many, many times already.

dZ.

Here’s a list of female shoes that, had they been used in Phantasmagoria, would still be better than the white sneakers of the protagonist:

6 Likes

LOL!!! The white sneakers serve a purpose: she can blind any gothic demon by just dancing in front of them. :laughing:

AHAHAHAHA!!! Those are perfect!!!