AdventureX 2017: narrative games convention in London

Does anyone know AdventureX? It’s a small and free event held in November in London and it’s dedicated to narrative-based games.

They describe themselves in the following way:

AdventureX is the UK’s only convention dedicated to narrative-driven gaming. Since 2011, AdventureX has been bringing together developers & gamers with a passion for interactive storytelling.

Encompassing everything from retro pixel-hunts to rich, branching narratives, AdventureX is a celebration of creativity, indie development and geek culture.

Last year they had, among other speakers, Charles Cecil and Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye Games) and this year there will be Brian Moriarty, the designer or Loom.

Here is a video of the 2016 edition:

If you have attended this event, can you share a few opinions about it?
I can’t exclude that it could be a good excuse to make a short trip to London.

Here is the official website.

1 Like

Looks like very interesting, narrative games, especially on portable consolles, are the new books.

Edit: ehm… this is a still image of the video you linked: I wonder if even Maniac Mansion could be considered a narrative-based game? I think so, after all there is a story, a cruel story.

You are supposed to rescue Sandy and do nothing else!! Stop torturing Weird Ed!

I always try to watch the live streams which means I have watched recordings from Adventure-Treff.de in the past… (e.g. AdventureX 2016).

They now keep recordings themselves: AdventureX 2016

I’ve supported their Kickstarters they started doing since last year to help paying their expenses (2016, 2017), but I was never there in person.

Thanks for posting this - I may have to arrange to go to that.

There’s a quote from Ron on the 2016 page, saying that The Dark Room ‘is the future of gaming’, which has reminded me I need to check that out too…

FTFY

Now excuse me, I really need to grow up…

FTFR.

Not a fan then?

I don´t know it to be honest(looks interesting though a bit like those old boardgames with that weird Videotape), I was just being incredibly immature, that´s all(also puns magenetically draw me to them).

Ohhh I get it now. I had to do a bit of Googling there. Need to bone up on my euphemisms.

Oh yeah, badly!

1 Like

I watched it live last year and it was fun:

Oh yeah, cool, I thought someone had mentioned it :slight_smile:

I see they´re using that “future of gaming” quote as a blurb, and who wouldn´t?

AdventureX 2017, the convention about narrative games, is held today and tomorrow.

You can watch a live stream here:

The speech I’m interested more will be tomorrow, by Brian Moriarty, the designer of “Loom”:

Brian Moriarty (Wishbringer, Trinity, Loom) recounts the strange, convoluted and often hilarious story of how an unabridged video of his 2002 Game Developer’s Conference lecture ‘The Secret of Psalm 46’ became the ultimate Easter egg in Jonathan Blow’s acclaimed puzzle-adventure game The Witness (2016). It provides unique insight into the mystery of creative passion, and serves as a dramatic demonstration of the artistic influence game designers can exert on future generations.

I didn’t know about this connection between Moriarty and “The Witness”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adventure game legend Brian Moriarty’s speech is currently “on air” and the story he’s telling is very funny. :smiley: (but it’s turning darker)

1 Like

I can’t watch it now, but I’d like to see it later. If you have a link to it on youtube or similar, please post it.

In the link I published above, click the “Videos” tab and you’ll find all the recorded videos, which include Moriarty’s lecture.

1 Like

They are now doing an adventure game quiz, presented by Francisco Gonzalez! :astonished:

very engaging speech… I can’t stop listening.

1 Like

Yes, each of his speech is carefully build like a story. (And he is just reading this story… :wink: )

His lecture is motivating me a bit to try “The Witness”, because it seems that there is some real genius behind its design. Unfortunately it appears to be a very large game that would require a lot of time and dedication to be finished. In this moment I prefer to play shorter games.

1 Like