All about books!

I’ve just finished The Martian, by A. Weir (pretty good, even though I’ve seen the movie):

And I immediately thought, “hey, how come there’s no thread about books in TWP?!” :scream:

After all it’s the game with the most extensive unpublished book library seen in any video game ever. Plus it’s vox-populi that many wanna-be authors roam this forum… So please use this space to share anything book related.

Some examples to get the ball rollin’:

. . A book you are currently reading
. . A book that you think it’s a must-read
. . A poll about books (polls are fun!)
. . A Book to avoid

I’m considering this one as my next book, has anyone read it?

4 Likes

Yay, a book thread! :nerd_face:

I loved the book. The film was okay, but the book much better. I read it quite a while ago now but I remember being really gripped and wondering how it was going to end. I like ‘human’ space stories that aren’t all about patriotic accomplishments.

I’ll come back later to address the other things :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m currently reading The Innovators by Walter Isaacson. It’s basically a history of the people that invented programming, from Ada Lovelace to modern day.

It has some pretty interesting stories for computer science nerds. But hey, I gotta read something until the new Patrick Rothfuss book comes out! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just finished It so I can watch the series.

The last books I’ve read, are some educational books, written by David Fox’s wife, Annie Larris.

Besides many other books I can recommend “Only You Can Save Mankind” from Terry Pratchett. It’s meant to be a novel for children but if you have loved playing Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion or other old games (or if you grew up with old (Sega) games) then you should read it. :wink:

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Book:Only_You_Can_Save_Mankind

(@ZakPhoenixMcKracken: There is a story element in it that will remind you of this. :wink: )

3 Likes

Speaking of Pratchett technically children’s books, I recommend The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight.

I LT over here: Frenzie's books | LibraryThing

lol, sometimes I can sound a bit pretentious I suppose.

On Northanger Abbey:

At first glance a simple parody of gothic novels turned parody of manners, Austen’s irony manages to surpass the limitations that might seem inherent in such an approach. Perhaps the parody is not of the fiction as of the society that inspired it, that reveled in keeping women ignorant.

Next up I’ll read either De ongelukkige by Louis Couperus or La Chute by Camus.

1 Like

Terry Pratchett’s children’s books are not only written for children. I would say that they are “family books” - like the “Harry Potter” books. :slight_smile:

I have finished Shiva Trilogy by Amish… Then I have read The keepers of Kalachakra by Ashwin Sanghi… Now I am gonna read Tuesdays with Morrie…

2 Likes

so many interesting suggestions!

I’m adding The Innovators to my read-to list. @yrface you might like this one, I read it a while ago in one session: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7090.The_Soul_of_a_New_Machine

@PiecesOfKate Have you read Weir’s last novel? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34928122-artemis?from_search=true
I’m thinking about it but I’m on the fence…

1 Like

Nope, sounds interesting though. You’ll have to let me know if you read it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Added to my goodreads list. It’s good to keep that list nice and full since I tend to get anxious when I’m near the end of a good book… What will I do when I have nothing left to read? :scream:

Eh? Besides the many books I have right here there’s several libraries. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m currently reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I picked it up in our Secret Santa at work two years ago, but I’ve wanted to read some of his for a while as they get a good rep over here (over there too, I expect).

Must-reads… I’ll be here all day :wink: Here are some that spring to mind. This is in no way extensive, and it depends what genres you’re into:
Dracula (Bram Stoker) – eerie, gothic classic
Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell) – expertly woven narrative (not wanting to say too much)
11.23.63 (Stephen King) – gripping mix of sci-fi and history
Death at Intervals (Jose Saramago) – brilliant social commentary and fascinating ‘what if’ scenario
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk – I love his dry, compulsive writing style (I also met him and came home with a naked blow-up doll)
Edgar Allen Poe and Ray Bradbury for short stories

I can’t think of a book to avoid – probably because I rarely come across them, or erase them from memory if I do.

I don’t get as much time for reading these days, which makes me sad. I used to love reading – now it takes me about a month on average to finish something. I also listen to more podcasts and audiobooks than I did in the past. And I go on this really addictive forum too – perhaps you know it.

I never have that problem! But I do feel a strange emptiness when I get to the end of a book I’ve been really engrossed in.

1 Like

I haven’t read it yet, but Lisey’s Story and From a Buick Eight are probably my favorites of his besides the original The Gunslinger.

1 Like

This here is something completely different: An atlas about fictional cities in video games:

1 Like

He’s one of my favorites! I hope you’re enjoying it. I thought Mackerel was a cute name for a cat. :smile_cat:

I’ve read most of his books, including the more biographical What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (for any jogging enthusiasts, though its only partially about that). One of my favorite books of all time is Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. It’s unlike anything else I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s really good :slightly_smiling_face: I like the mysterious tone and all the different things going on.

Haha, I didn’t realise it translated to that! :grin:

Just read about it on Wikipedia and it sounds absolutely bizarre…

I fear we’re not going to see that for a while. Which is a shame, as I think that Mr. Rothfuss is one of the best “new” fantasy authors. I don’t find The Name of the Wind is entirely without flaws, but it’s better than any other contemporary fantasy that I came across. The Wise Man’s Fear is nearly flawless, and by now, I think he has mastered his art. I absolutely loved the companion and comic book he wrote for Torment: Tides of Numenera.

1 Like

Inspired by the game’s setting, I did diverge a little from the usual fantasy fare and dived into the Dying Earth SciFi subgenre. To my surprise, it’s not as grim and bleak as one might imagine, and so far I very much enjoyed everything I read:

• Michael Moorcock: Dancers at the End of Time
  • Gene Wolfe: The Book of the New Sun
  • Jack Vance; Dying Earth

Next on that particular list is M John Harrison, Viriconium, if I manage to find an edition to my liking.

I’d also include Dan Simmons’ Illium in this little list, although technically it’s not set in a far, far future. It’s also not as humorous.