Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

Amiga 500/2000 port

Those graphics look like something from the mid-'90s. Not in a bad way, but definitely in the sense that my former Riva TNT2 with iirc a max res of 1920x1200@70ish Hz should be able to handle that just fine.

Going by those specs my laptop would barely be able to handle that game. >_> I mean, it’s not at all a gaming laptop or anything, but a game that looks like that shouldn’t have system requirements that are twice as tough as, I don’t know, Costume Quest.

Just like that won’t happen and it isn’t an interesting project for Lady Gaga but you can still dress up as her and have fun… Terrible Toybox isn’t going to remake TWP for the amiga, C64 or other old systems but you can still play around and try to recreate some parts as fanart and have fun.

Is there a way to extract the Thimbleweed Park graphics and animations so that they are readable in Photoshop?

Yes, there is. But it’s totally unofficial - and maybe illegal. Somebody created a tool for this purpose, but the creators of the game requested him/her not to share it any more. They have encrypted the game’s art works intentionally, of course.
Though I cannot find the discussion about it. It was either in these forums or on the dev blog.

Okay, I’ll respect that. That’s the end of the graphics conversion.

I posted a link to it that was deleted. No PM came along with the deletion so I guess I was just supposed to figure out that it shouldn’t be shared by inference. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just tried the tool once. Just for me.

With Photoshop and in an automated process it would be possible to reduce the graphics to certain colors and palettes. You could make the backgrounds and sprites look like they are calculated on an Amiga, Atari ST or VGA PC. You could make the graphics look like they were calculated in Amiga HAM mode. :wink: That wouldn’t be much work without manual optimization. BUT reducing the resolution, parallax scrolling and removing the effects is a lot of work I think. But as I said, I don’t really have programming skills. I’m just a photographer and I know this and that in Photoshop.

Is it possible to write the recalculated graphics back into a compatible file?

Edit: The conversion to 32 colors is finished. Looks good. :slight_smile: If I could write the converted.png files back into the.ggpack file, I could play Thimbleweed Park with a virtual Amiga on steroids .

The same would be easily possible with the music and audio files. They just need to be reconverted to 8 bit, 22 khz.