Are PnC adventure games on iOS and mobile platforms the future?

You would have to optimise such games for touch experience (= fat fingers).

Btw. when I played ScummVM games in pre-smartphone era it worked really well, but back then those tiny touchscreens came with a stylus.

1 Like

Not necessarily: Broken Sword has a lot of fans. They had played the BS games back in the 90s. And now they bought it on Android again (to bring back the memories). If they don’t liked BS2 or haven’t played the second part at all, they won’t buy BS2. Then there are the people who heard about BS1, bought it and don’t liked it. So they won’t buy BS2 too.

There could be many reasons why BS1 has more buyers than BS2. Without any further informations we can only make assumptions. :slight_smile:

Is that really true? At least in the States it seems like iPhone is still winning.

From what I’ve read, Android has the largest marketshare (i.e., installed base), but iPhone is taking most of the profits in the industry (i.e., paying customers).

1 Like

I’m judging from what I see and hear, not on data, which is why I ask. I know people who have finally given up on iphone because of the non-replacable battery issue, but didn’t realize Android is now the majority.

As far as I know (from what I’ve read) the situation is like Mr. Gilbert mentioned: there’s many more Android users out there, but they are more inclined to not pay for software; and the iPhone users are more inclined to pay, but they are fewer. Still the iPhone market is rather large by many metrics.

-dZ.

The interactivity is limited to tap everywhere on the big button with a :arrow_forward: on it!
It’s evident that you had a satisfactory experience!

I explored the options, as I usually do, and it’s highly probable that I made that tweak. But it was the display that was too small. I like scummVM and since I appreciate the classic adventure games I’m grateful to who created it.

That’s true, but as an overall experience in using the device, I felt it would have been good to play a point and click adventure there.
I generally don’t appreciate doing other than simple tasks on smartphones, they are too small to be computers, too big to be mobile phones. So I choose little and simple smartphones, and use computers or tablets for tasks. Tablets in particular for leisure felt great.

If it’s true that point and click adventures are more suitable on displays equal or wider than 9 inches, and if it’s true that iOS is more widespread than Android on such devices, then the higher android marketshare on smartphones is not a great problem, given also that games have a little price there. I would never buy a point and click game on a smartphone, it would soon get on my nerves!:reyes:
But, as I said before, take my statements very carefully since they are personal and/or not sustained by evidences.

Ehm… actually Terrible Toybox did say that they were working on a DLC. :stuck_out_tongue:

We’re working on a little DLC for some future update. No timeline and no details as yet, but know that although we’re quiet here, we’re busily working away to keep making Thimbleweed Park better and better! [News on Steam, May 8th 2017]

1 Like

Ah May 8th! I vividly remember that day like it was 4 weeks ago!

1 Like

Oh, thanks for pointing out the mistake, I have fixed it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm… no, wait, I thought I made a mistake but I didn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

(sorry, I’m pretty tired and I see things that are not there)

I really was just making a super lame joke. Everything is alright!

2 Likes

I did not write that, who ever did probably used the term DLC incorrectly. We are working on updates, but not DLC. In my mind, DLC is something you download (and maybe pay for) separately and it’s optional. The changes we’re making integrate into the whole game, it would be hard to do them as DLC.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of this. I have nothing against free-to-play or pay-to-play games, but you have to know that going into the design, or it feels cumbersome.

Unfortunately, if you do IAP on iOS or Android, you have to write all the code to make the purchase. This is unlike Steam/GOG where you buy the DLC from them, and it’s just downloaded. Writing store code is a PITA, I’d like to avoid it if possible.

It would be possible to have a demo that you can play for free, then pay to unlock the rest of the game. As others have mentioned, you have to be careful or you’ll get backlash. You also have to have a point in the game where it feels like a cliffhanger that players want to know more about, but also not give them too much play time. I don’t know if TWP has a moment that satisfies both of those. Maybe one of the agents getting knocked out, but that’s optional. Maybe end the demo after they complete the first flashback.

Before doing something like this, I want to see similar games where this succeeded. I know of a lot where this failed, but that might have just been the game, and not the model. 50,000 installs/downloads is not a very interesting number. 50,000 purchases is, but conversion rates are in the 5-10% range (even lower for traditional free-to-play)

2 Likes

Could you (anybody) tell me a couple of Point’n’Click adventure games availaible on Android?
I mean, not visual novel games like Ace Attorney.
Classic Point’n’Click Adventure Games.
I couldn’t find any.
I just want to try how it feels playing on a small screen device.

Edit: if any, Thimbleweed Park will be the very first classic Point’n’Click adventure game on mobile. Unpredictable results.

I would like to clarify some of the things that I wrote above, especially the fact that I would never turn an existing traditional PnC adventure game into a “pay-to-play” game. I think that games with in-app purchases need to be designed with that model in mind, otherwise you would probably ruin the existing game and dissatisfy an existing user base.

Also, I think it’s important to specify that the “in-app purchase” model applied to a PnC adventure game wouldn’t necessarily imply that you can’t finish the game and get a satisfactory experience without paying. You think about locking characters or rooms, but that’s not the only way to use in-app purchases. It’s up to the designers to find a way to motivate the player to pay something without depriving the game of its main features and charm. Personally, I think that thinking about the “how” would be an interesting design challenge.

I do share your doubts about the “milking” aspects but in my opinion these doubts arise only if we assume that the only way to use in-app purchases in an adventure game would be to take it to the extreme, like non-adventure games currently do. In my opinion, that assumption is wrong.

Aren’t there any libraries around that do the job?

It has many moments. One is after the dead of Boris. (If needed, I can give more examples.)

But as @LowLevel said in his last post and I in some of my posts above: This is not the only in-app model you could use. For example you can sell the annoying in jokes or the whole “hard mode” as a DLC.

Can you give an example?

As you have to pay for Broken Sword, the installation numbers should be similar to the number of purchases. I doubt that many buyers had installed the games on several devices…

You mean exclusive titles? Or PnC adventures in general? In the latter case, just search in the Play Store:

Broken Sword 1, 2 and 5
Yesterday
Larry 1 Reloaded
The Cave
Simon the Sorcerer
Randal’s Monday
Grim Fandango
Machinarium
The Last Door
The Silent Age
The Inner World
Syberia
Kathy Rain

I think I stop here. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I’ll try all of them!

The adventures i listed above are conversions from the PC. So you should know most of them… :wink: