iOS release date?

Hi there. :slight_smile:

When is this gem coming to iPads and iPhones?

Cheers,
putte

Probably June. Iā€™m working on it right now. I mean RIGHT NOW. Itā€™s working pretty well and the game is fully playable. Iā€™m just working on the touch controls.

8 Likes

Did you find a way to share code between platforms, or does iOS have completely new code?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, Ron. Youā€™re the man that planted an everlasting passion in a boy that was 13 years old back then. The little boy was me in 1987. I smash a huge ā€˜Thank youā€™ for this back to you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Donā€™t rush! Make sure to get the touch controls just right, thatā€™s the most important part. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s all the same code. For each platform, we write low level code that deals with graphics and input. All the touch code will exist in all the future version and will be toggle-able via an option, so it will work if youā€™re playing on a laptop with a touch screen.

3 Likes

I played Thimbleweed Park on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. On a touch screen. Just with my fingers. Worked like a charm.

(It only took me a bit to realize I could open the character selection and options menu by double-tapping on the corner with the image of the current character, and to get the tap timing for the fast walking right. But, really, that was smooth and easy.)

So if that is your aim, you reached it on the first attempt, Ron.

@hihp Did you play the whole game that way?

Similarly, right after the release, I tried using the iOS version of Remote Desktop from Microsoft to play Thimbleweed Park for a little while (my PC was running the software under Win 10 Pro, I was just using the remote desktop client to connect to it), and it worked surprisingly well with the iPad touch interface.

It sounds like itā€™s just going to get better!

Since you seem to be active in the forum, Ron, Iā€™d like to tell you something you probably havenā€™t heard dozens of times: you rock! You created such milestones of intelligent and inspired games that the genre has almost had trouble keeping up afterwards.
Glad you hit the nail on the head again as I am reading on the internet, canā€™t wait for the iOS version to come out as I mostly just use my ipad for everything.
Respect!

4 Likes

Thanks.

STUPID FILLER TO GET PAST 20 CHARACTERS.

2 Likes

Can you change this with a Discourse admin setting?

That setting is a bit annoying but there is a drawback if you decrease the number of minimum chars: some people will start using the forum as a chat. No discourses, just a few words per post. ā€œLOL!ā€, ā€œRight!ā€, ā€œYou betā€, ā€œAgreedā€, etc.

Since some other people like to participate in (or just read) discussion forums and they dislike chat-like posts (or, worse, entire threads filled of them), the limit of 20 chars was born.

Personally, I would suggest to keep this annoying deterrent.

(to everyone: feel free to reply to this post with a monosyllable.)

I realize IĀ“m in the minority here, but this is just my personal opinion.

I would never buy the mobile version because it goes completly against the way I ā€œfeelā€ adventure games.

The moment I heard this game would come out my mind was immediately transformed back to those times when things were slow and not as hectic and we all needed a lot more patience.

The times when we used to spent long nights sitting in front of the screen, late nights when the crickets actually chriped outside like they do in Maniac Mansion. Just sitting in front of the screen, concentrating, thinking and having a snack. Now and then there would be that special buzzing sound of the 1541 floppy drive that to this day is like the sound of a crackling fireplace for me. That excitement when you knew something was happening because it started to load and then crosshair turned into that snail symbol. Then waiting, flipping or changing discs and more waiting. But that only served to built up tension or give more time to think.

That was back in those times when everything was slower, flipping a vinyl record around actually sitting down and listening to the music, turning around and rewinding video or audio cassette tapes. All that was part of the same experience of devoting all your time and attention to the same media. Like spening hours on reading a good book. Today everything happens at the same time, there is nothing tangible, or physical anymore, everything has to be fast and right now, the attention span and the true love seems to have shrunkenā€¦

Adventure games emphasised this because as opposed to the twitch gameplay of most other games they asked you to be patient, to take it slow, to sit back and think, almost like a zen exercise.

Now playing a game that magically transforms me back into those slower times on the go, on the bus, in the doctors office or at the grocery checkout goes so much against those feelings, I just couldnĀ“t stand it.

As IĀ“ve said I realize IĀ“m in the minority here, so have fun. I see there is a great demand.

But I just couldnĀ“t do it.

3 Likes

Yes, that is a very good point. It just has caused me to be a bit more verbose than I would have been on a couple of occasions, but in fact, my responses have ended up more complete and interesting (IMHO) as a result.

I appreciate that perspective. However, in my case, itā€™s become a more practical concern. I find it harder than it used to be to sit at the computer to play a game in my home, with 3 teenagers with busy schedules and needing to use the computer themselves from time to time. My free time ends up more with the iPad than the computer, so if Iā€™m going to play a game, itā€™s much more likely Iā€™ll find time on the iPad than the desktop. That said, first person 3D games requiring 2 hands to control movement I have to do at the desktop with keyboard and mouse. But adventure games are perfect for using the iPad (text adventures are an exception, however, and believe me Iā€™ve tried - Iā€™m still a huge fan of interactive fiction).

2 Likes

And thatĀ“s reality for many now. I totally understand that. As long as that doesnĀ“t feel like listening to Cliffs Notes of Shakespeare on an Ipod to you, thatĀ“s absolutly fine.

1 Like

w00t!Ā Ā Ā 

1 Like

I wholeheartedly I agree with your vision and, to me, playing adventure games is a way to enjoy a kind of slowness that maybe we, as a society, have lost a bit.

Some time ago a friend of mine showed me a photo of a bench in a park on which someone had painted the words ā€œSlowness makes you freeā€ and this philosophy matches pretty well with the kind of lifestyle that I would like to experience.

Said that, I think that you can use any device in any way you want. I canā€™t exclude that instead of playing adventure gamers only on a desktop/laptop, sooner or later I could also play them on a tablet. Not to play them on the go, but to play them exactly in the same way I already play them: taking my time at home, on the couch, with no interruptions or distractions.

2 Likes

Ah!Ā Ā Ā 

Lol

blahblahblahblahbla