Are PnC adventure games on iOS and mobile platforms the future?

If only the mind behind the development of that operating system and related devices was still here so he could tell us what he thinks about it…

But, hey! Wait a moment! Actually there was an encounter between him and Ron Gilbert, and you’ll be surprised to know about the argument of their chat…

Obviously I’m on Gilbert’s side, that’s needless to say…

Anyway, it seems that many users here in the forums feel that iPads in particular will be ideal to play TWP, and I think that too!!!:delores:

There was some chat about the argument also there:

Mhhh, let´s see.

Games Ron Gilbert were involved in include Maniac Mansion, The Secret Of Monkey Island, The Cave and Thimbleweed Park.

Games that Steve Jobs were involved in:

4 Likes

Hey! Don’t you underestimate the story of John Ra(i)mbo(w) and how he escaped his imprisonment and torture suffered by lapidation that costed him two teeth!!!

2 Likes

On the game over screen instead of a “continue” you get to select “NOTHING IS OVER!!!”

1 Like

+1

Exactly what you said.

With one exception: for a novel, it makes total sense to sell it at 30$ with illustrations and at 15$ with text only. For a game like TWP, you could sell it without speech at 9$ and with speech at 19$.

I haven’t voted to change the story. Just to sell optional parts as a separate DLC.

Why are you thinking this? At least I would like to play PnC adventures on a PC. Beside that, you would lose the revenues from Steam.

Ehm… Which costs do you think of?

But you know that a modern iPhone has a higher resolution then some displays for the PC? :wink:

But to know that, you have to buy it first. :slight_smile:

Or you can install ScummVM and play your Lucasfilm favorites. :wink:

yeah, but if the screen size is small, you can increase the resolution as much as you want, it makes almost no difference.

Okaaaay… Then why do we need 4K displays?

because they aren’t small? (I said “if the screen size is small…”)

The “Xperia Z5 Premium” has a 4K display. I would consider 5,5 inch as small:

Ok, why do think you need a 4k resolution on such a small screen?

That was my question to you. :wink:

I don’t think we need them :slight_smile: I don’t think you’ll notice the difference (or notice it but not care about it). Do you?

That depends on the apps, graphics, the videos and the pixels per inch. :slight_smile:

As a developer you have to care about the resolution and - also the pixels per inch. In most cases you can’t just “blow” the whole graphics up to 4K. Especially on “HiDPI” devices. You can try it yourself: Run an old app in Windows 10 on a hi-res display. The menu items will be so small that you can’t touch or click them properly. Then scale the app with the scaling function in Windows. The result looks like crap. So in most cases you have to scale the graphics in a clever way. Or in other words: You can’t increase the resolution as much as you want. :slight_smile:

The only use case I think of is using it as VR display, i.e. mounting the phone in front of your eyes.

2 Likes

That’s one case. With a higher resolution the graphics are looking “crisper”. So you don’t need anti-aliasing techniques (in the best case). With the 4K resolution you can play UHD videos without the need so scale them (down).

Actually I think that optional IAP can be compelling enough to motivate people to spend a few bucks.

I would prefer not to use Thimbleweed Park as an example, because I would never use a freemium model on TWP but it’s the first example that comes to my mind: an un-censoring option for Ransome would be compelling enough to motivate people to buy it, in my opinion. Would it change the essence of the game? Probably yes, but it wouldn’t make the game a bad game and it would not alienate most of the PnC “purists”.

If we are talking about 4K displayes on smartphones or, more generally, for small screens, then most people don’t really need 4K displays. We have reached the point in which the continuously increasing quantity of pixels on small screens is mainly a marketing tool, not a necessity.

1 Like

I remember reading somewhere that many east Asian languages benefit from very high resolutions due to the visual complexity of the characters in those languages.

1 Like