Best retro driving game was

Super Pipeline = Super Idraulico
Motor Mania = Corsa d’auto
Hunchback = il Gobbo

How many heavily pirated games we played as kids, in our innocence! :grin:

Did anyone finish “il Gobbo” in his life?

My first driving game was Street Racer on the Atari 2600:

On the C64 mine was this:

“Hot Wheels” has no goal, but you can build(!) and paint your own car. Beside that, the oil change and the demolition derby were cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No way… it was super hard.

There’s even a website, edicolac64.com, dedicated to listing the fake names found in magazines.

That’s how I found out that “Karate” was actually “The way of the exploding fist”, or that “Karate Master” was “International Karate Plus”, and the famous “Monty on the run” (best C64 song ever) wasn’t really called “Paolo la talpa” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

At least you can buy a flyer for this evergreen nugget on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-F-1-Original-NOS-1976-Vintage-Arcade-Game-3-D-Projection-Promo-Sales-Flyer-/401383115897?hash=item5d744c4c79:g:a9gAAOxywCJRaX-y

Tip: You can read the rear page there! :wink:

I probably never would have remembered this game if it wouldn´t appear in the movie Dawn Of The Dead (1978) that somehow triggered my memory. If only I could remember if it was on holiday in spain or somewhere in my bavarian province where I played it…

I see. I just watched this extract from the movie:

The projection is more distinguishable there, compared to the first video. Maybe the colors on the plastic sheets have faded since the 70s. Unless it’s just caused by the lamp or the camera.

I think it’s mostly because of the professional photography of the movie to give a better result (lighting, angle, exposure) but sure the films have faded with time…

Does anybody know the Ford Simulator series?

Two of my very first games. :slight_smile:
I ought to take a look at my old floppy disks.

No, it’s the first time I see it. Was it a kind of advertising material for Ford?

It seems nice, though.
And what a strange palette! What is that, a tweaked CGA? Looks much better than the standard CGA palette.

I meant to post a video of that scene, but couldn´t find it since the one I had bookmarked had been removed. The picture might have faded but I think it´s mostly due to one video done by a professional filmcrew and the other one being on a low res digital camera.

Yes I remember both Ford Simulators! No idea though where I got those.

CGA supports:

• 320×200 in 4 colors from a 16 color hardware palette. Pixel aspect ratio of 1:1.2.
  • 640×200 in 2 colors. Pixel aspect ratio of 1:2.4

Yes, it is not the official palette, but it is mentioned in paragraph Further graphics modes and tweaks

But, look at this video. I’ve seen it quite long ago, and you made me think about it. It is REALLY interesting. It shows how CGA was intended to work with RGBI monitors especially for utility and text applications, while it was intended to work with composite/TV screens for video games.

There also is, at 6:32, an example of a Maniac Mansion clip in CGA where you can see the difference between RGBI and composite.

You can see that the grass of the frontward is rendered in green…

I wonder (ad maybe @RonGilbert or @David can have an answer) If the plain colors and the pixel textures in the basic CGA 4-color-palette in Maniac Mansion and in the later LucasFilm Games were specifically chosen to obtain a particular result in composite.

Interesting to see, in the same video, the example of Battle Chess, which had 2 CGA modes, one for composite and one for RGBI monitors.

3 Likes

Thanks, that was a very educational video. :slight_smile:

You’d be surprised what is actually achievable with CGA:

Here’s a bit of an explanation:

1 Like

Yes, if I remember correctly, it was freeware for advertising purposes

I’m not sure which graphics mode it used, but I assume that it is CGA. Elsewise, it might have looked more colorful.
I’m going to exhume my old floppy collection. Maybe I can still extract the files from them and find it out.

Yes, both of you are probably right.

This one for me for sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nicolaigd.retrohighway

1 Like

Road Rash is the name of the EA arcade (?) motorcycle series, but what was the Sega arcade game where you drove a sports car (a Corvette or something?) with a blonde woman at your side?

1 Like

A “new” retro racing game for the PC is Slipstream:

1 Like