Good Video Games / 2017

the witness
thimbleweed park
stephen’s sausage roll
captain cowboy
iron marines
gorogoa
sam’s journey

(btw. some of your games were already released earlier)

Here are some of my favourites this year:

I’ve bought Gorogoa but haven’t tried it yet.
Is this the Sam’s Journey you are talking about? A new game for the C64!

1 Like

From @boosegoose:

I played only one game this year.

Guess which.

1 Like

Was it Desert Bus?

Kill yourself™

2 Likes

Yep! (It’s available via itch.io too.)

Btw. I suggest to turn off the hints, before you play Gorogoa.

[The idea was more about video games you’ve truly enjoyed this year, less about the release date (which can vary due to a platform). Feel free to post whatever gave you some goose bumps.]

1 Like

I think I bought as many older games as I did buy 2017 releases. Of the latter, none did disappoint, so that must count as good, right?

• Torment: Tides of Numenera
  • Thimbleweed Park (2 times)
  • Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition (if Full Throttle Remastered counts, certainly that one does too)
  • AER - Memories of Old
  • The Inner World 2 - The Last Wind Monk

I’ve also bought, but have not yet played (so I can only assume they’re good)

• Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • The Pillars of the Earth
1 Like

TwP aside I´ve only played the Resident Evil: Biohazard Begnning Hour Demo so far. And while it plays like first person Maniac Mansion on acid (trapped in a creepy house hiding from psychotic family members) and I´m really curious to try the full version the demo is so difficult it drives me mad!

Played many games but only two released in 2017. TWP and Mass Effect Andromeda. A bit disappointed with Mass Effect, but it was enjoyable. TWP was a blast for me. Will it ever be a sequel btw? :slight_smile:

I’ve not played many games that were actually released in 2017, so I’m going to cheat slightly and list notable ones I’ve played: this year:

Thimbleweed Park
The Cave
The Witness
The Talos Principle
The Darkside Detective
What Remains of Edith Finch

I’ve literally just finished Edith Finch, in a two-hour playthrough, and have a throbbing headache. It was worth it though.

Have you finished the Time Traveller part?

:flushed:

I was wondering why you´ve gotten so quiet about it…

1 Like

I also want to mention Cuphead: It looks great and I’ve heard good things about it. I haven’t bought or played it yet though, but I will eventually!

I’ve bought and played it. The cartoon graphic and animation is astonishing. The game is hard to play, the difficult level is above average, but it is fun!

First game of 2017 I will get myself is Resident Evil 7 Biohazard. It really plays a bit like a first person Maniac Mansion and I kind of got addicted to the Demo which I finally managed to solve after many tries. That house just looks so real and moving through that creepy building always fearing to get caught gives me the major thrills. I´d really like to try that one in VR one of these days. Very much looking forward to playing it.

Don’t make me a pirate!

I’ve heard good things about RE7+VR!

Why, it´s on PC, too? Currently at like 25 € (which is cheap for a tripple A game less than a year after release).

Despite having to fight the occasional monster it has typical adventure game mechanics in it´s gameplay.

Demo Spoilers that won´t spoil the game itself incoming:

In the demo you want to escape through the roof in the attic. You have to pull a hidden chain in a chimney to reveal a hidden room. In the room is the missing fuse you put in the fuse box so you can let push the button in the upper room to reveal the attic stairs. In the attic room you find the basement key. You go down to the basement where you get locked in and have to evade a monster that attacks you and not get hit(you have to push a sack into it´s direction so it falls and you can kick the blocked door thrice to get out again). There you find the key to the attic window where you have to walk all the way up again and finally escape. I´m sure there is still some secrets in that demo I have missed. There is at least two alternate and worse endings.

I play DRM-free only, sometimes you can buy them, sometimes you just find them, and in the darkness bind them… no wait

1 Like