Delores: Finnish translation

:grinning:
In Finnish the telephone was actually called ‘telefooni’ until early 1900s, when ‘puhelin’ replaced it.
Etymology of puhelin, according to Wikipedia, is ‘puhella’ (talk with oneself) + ‘in’, but I would say a better explanation is that two words are combined: ‘puhe’ (a speech) + ‘elin’ (an organ).

1 Like

As I’m sure you know phone is Greek for speech (and tele- is Greek for distance), so it’s still intriguingly similar even if Finnish is not an Indo-European language. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In German mobile phones are typically called Handy. This probably sounds strange to a lot of foreigners (it comes from hand-telephone and has nothing to do with the English word handy).

In Finland the mobile phones have been called kännykkä since 1977, which means exactly the same as in German.

It’s interesting that some kinds of government like to control even words. :smirk:

Well, the Czechs are also a bit guilty of this. The official word is “počítač” (počítat = to count, so it’s very similar to “ordinateur” or “der Rechner”) but there other colloquial words derived from English - mostly “komp” or “pecko” (derived from “PC”). However my favorite is “mogbuk” which comes from a misspelled personal ad that went viral: “Selling mogbuk - like computer.”

Well… in Finnish a computer is tietokone, an information (or knowing) machine :slightly_smiling_face:

I see - so these are basically cases.

Your list made me to look at Wikipedia…

… and its list seems to be more friendly with less exceptions - or just too simplified. :slightly_smiling_face:

A computer is a person who performs calculations. Then there’s the device, also called computer, that made it so that person’s now out of a job. In Dutch those were rekenaars (cf. German Rechner), but in French they were calculateurs. In any case it’s not like it’s a “new” word; we simply happened to borrow the word computer for the new device but it could’ve easily become a rekenaar. The difference is that in Dutch it would’ve happened organically while in French there’s an academy wagging its finger about saying computer’s an English loanword, use ordinateur instead!

Spot on. :grinning:

I find the French case very strange. There were similar trends in Czech language during 18th and 19th centuries because of the pressure of Austrian German so the nationalists were trying to get rid of German words and “clean the language” but it almost stopped before the end of 19th century even though Austrian government continued until 1918. I always felt it’s a psychological complex of small nations but French is one of the biggest languages in the world (#15) and still it feels the urge to fight against other languages (mostly English).

Look at sea = katso merta
Which in Italian means “dick shit”
Ah, the magic of the words…

4 Likes

Yes. There is a Finnish couple at the Adriatic Sea, romantically cuddling at the sunset. Then the woman says, with a softest tone, “look at the sea”. Zak P. McK passes by and thinks he’s in a candid camera show.

3 Likes

Only if we create a career reorientation program for the thousands and thousands of protocol droids that will be put out of a job as a result.

Sorry, slow progress. I equal to 15 Germans, 12 French or Brits or 11 Italians, if we compare to populations…

I’d need to think a word for a cut-scene. In Finnish it would be “välikohtaus”, which in English would be “an incident”… Maybe “välinäytös” or “an interlude” would be ok?

interlude, intermission, break, non-interactive scene… would all be better than “incident”

In the context of Delores, you might also simply refer to it as the “intro sequence”

2 Likes

Ok. Whew. Texts :white_check_mark:. Testplays :white_check_mark:. Graphics :white_check_mark:. Realised you can export image assets straight from Photoshop :white_check_mark:. TSV export :white_check_mark:. Now I just need to figure out how to get all this into git.

Didn’t touch the final credits, and haven’t yet checked where to include the translation credits…

HA! I think I managed to add the translations! Wow. Ok. Graphics next, maybe tomorrow.

2 Likes

Oh yes! Still need to do those. Although they’re in a single file… so not sure how that’ll work in a multilingual release…

Simply PM Ron (see his post about the Linux release/translation deadline)

1 Like

No need for credits, just send Ron a message for the name :smiley:

Oh, and don’t forget to translate the bookstore list :smiling_imp:

1 Like