Do I check "X" or leave it blank if I want annoying jokes? Developers were not clear on this?

Do I check “X” or leave it blank if I want annoying jokes? Developers were not clear on this?

https://i.redd.it/hzmivz0ion7z.png

X if you want annoying in-jokes.

X = On
Not X = Off

I never thought about it applied to Thimbleweed Park but I have remembered that in a completely unrelated context I have seen people interpreting an “X” in the interface as a “reject this”.
In that case the company changed the “X” with a checkmark ✓

1 Like

Wow, I’ve never heard that before.

X marks the spot. (It’s an in-joke!)

4 Likes

I never thought about this, but it makes sense.

Explaining that it’s an in-joke spoils the in-joke! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wikipedia gives an explanation of the meanings of the sign (I have edited it a bit for readability):

An x mark is a mark used to indicate the concept of negation (for example “no, this has not been verified” or “no, I don’t agree”) as well as an indicator (for example in election ballot papers or in x marks the spot). Its opposite is often considered to be the check mark or tick (or the O mark used in Japan, Korea and Taiwan).

In some areas it’s common for people to check a square box with a cross rather than a check mark, while in others the check mark (✓) or even a v mark is used.

3 Likes

But makes it annoying, so it’s disabled by default!

1 Like