Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? 👽

Morbo!

Oh, man, you just triggered another flashback to the 80’s about aliens disguising themselves as humans. No, not talking about V.

Anyone remember They Live?

Nope, but thanks. :slight_smile:

:arrow_up: Mentioned it above :arrow_up:

The concept is so similar to Zak McKracken(Aliens disgusing themselves and making people stupid through means of mass media, in the case of They Live commercials and billboards, in the end of They Live a signal device has to be destroyed instead of built), I´d wager @David was influenced by it. Only problem the movie came out a month after the game (according to Wikipedia Zak was October ´88 and They Live November ´88). So we have a happy little coincidence on our hands. Or great minds think alike in this case David Fox and John Carpenter.

I’m not really a sci-fi fan but Red Dwarf is in my Top 5 favorite shows. Excited for Season 12 this fall!

1 Like

Never saw this film. Actually, I don’t think I’ve heard of it. So must have been the Skolarians (corrected) sending me and John Carpenter the same dream… to cover all bases and make sure at least one of us created a story around the concept.

4 Likes

Oh, I´m actually surprised by this. It´s a really clever satire on consumerism that still rings true today, check it out!

The what? Oh, you mean the Mindbenders.

I´m actually pretty confident he meant to say the Skolarians, but I didn´t dare to point it out…

Oh and I forgot glasses play an important role for the protagonists of Zak (noseglasses as a disguise) and They Live (sunglasses to make the aliens and their propaganda visible).

It´s also possibly the single best movie with a former Wrestler in a leading role (Princess Bride doesn´t count, AndrÊ The Giant plays a supporting role) and it has probably the most needlessly prolonged fight sequence in movie history (and it´s tons of fun to watch, especially in the context of the scene).

Yes, you’re right, Skolarians. I just corrected it, thanks.

1 Like

What a relief, for a moment there I feared you were mindcontrolled by the evil aliens!:slight_smile:

But Mr. T in Rocky III should count.

That’s an accurate depiction of any Rocky movie.

Do you think he´d pity me, if you he knew I forgot about him?

A boxing match isn´t needless the same way as a 6 minute alley brawl that only takes places because someone refuses to put on a pair of sunglasses.

I think that he and Batista (who has a leading role in Guardians of the Galaxy) might both tag-team beat you. And I’m not counting The Rock just because I don’t consider him a “former” wrestler.

Oh the heck with it, maybe I´ve just seen too many terrible Hulk Hogan movies…anyway I still think They Live is the best of the bunch and Roddy Piper was a real good actor.

Easy one : 12 Monkeys

2 Likes

Brings back memories of Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill movies. :slight_smile:

“I was… Frozen!! Today!!”

1 Like

I have to chose the obvious movies:

• Star Wars (but only the “first” tree episodes IV to VI)
  • Blade Runner
  • Spaceballs
  • Back to the Future
  • Ghostbusters
  • Tron

But I have to admit that none of them had “blown me away”. Don’t get me wrong: They were good films, but sci-fi games and books influenced me much more.

Are these sci-fi movies? If yes, I would add them to my list. :slight_smile:

@milanfahrnholz:

English version:

Nein!!!

Doch! Oh!

2 Likes

Thanks for cooperating!:wink:

1 Like