Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? 👽

Okay, that’s probably not too bad then.

Yes! That bit was like, oh nooooooo! I had a creeping, uncomfortable feeling just before that happened.

Yeah. Those bits are really disturbing. More so than gory stuff, definitely. They make me feel actually uncomfortable rather than just being able to go ‘eurgh!’ for one second or whatever. (I’m quite desensitised to gore in general, but still.)

Is there another series planned, do you know? I don’t want to risk Googling it before I’ve finished this series.

No, it was conceptualized as a “Mini Event Series” or something that adapts the whole book in one series and that´s it. Which may be the reason for the cast that consists of movie actors. That could commit to the series. Well maybe except Ted Levine who was on Monk(and is gladly back to being evil here). Also Michael Ironside who isn´t evil for once (except Top Gun I guess?) also there is the inveviatable David Warner in one scene (dunno if you´ve seen that yet).

Really good cast overall. I also like the style and design. The intro is fantastic. I´m frankly surprised the critics were so “meh” about it.

Oh right. Well maybe that’s good as so many things go on for longer than they should these days.

It is a good cast. I’m not hugely familiar with those actors but recognise most of them from something.

I think it’s one you have to really invest attention in. It’s not that fast-moving in some ways, but I like that. I reckon a lot of them just find it too dry. It also feels really ‘British period’ to me – maybe Americans don’t like it!

That´s really an odd thing to think about considering the setting in New York in 1896. Queen Victoria was still alive on the other side of the atlantic (where Jack The Ripper had stopped being active 8 years prior) while on the opposite of the country the wild west was entering its autmn years and all those famous indians and gunslingers were in the newspapers.

That’s what I mean, though. It feels like a British period drama set in Victorian times. The clothes and era are really similar. I keep expecting JTR to turn up (especially with the references to it).

Well I hope you find the resolution as satisfying as I did.

Meanwhile I have been watching the first season of American Horror Story and at the moment I´m in the middle of the second season of Fargo…I think we´d really need a general series thread here, right?

Yeah, perhaps. I keep forgetting were talking about The Alienist in a sci-fi thread (though the title probably means no one else is the wiser, shh).

I meant to pick up Fargo again. I think I just got distracted after the first few episodes. I couldn’t get into AHS. I found it too cheesy.

I loved The Americans. Waiting for the rest of it to be made free though. Also enjoying Rick and Morty on the side. Safe on Netflix was also pretty good (I actually didn’t mind Michael C Hall’s British accent!)

I know what you mean after seeing the first season. With it being an anthology with every season being about something different though, you could never know. So I might give it another shot.

Besides that I´m still waiting for Guillermo Del Toro´s The Strain to be available on Prime and am still a bit pissed about the insecurity about Castle Rock (on Hulu in the US, and I fear it might be on an obscure paytv station here, which means chances of me ever seeing it are rather low).

I think I watched a bit of that when it was on FX, but wasn’t keen. I can’t remember why - it looks good!

Oh yeah, I forgot The Handmaid’s Tale which is brilliant. I’ve just started watching the latest series. Now you’re going to see a related tweet, which I actually drafted about four hours ago.

1 Like

It´s great. It starts out as a modern retelling of about the second half of Dracula and then goes all kinds of other ways. I´m really hooked!

grafik

1 Like

I did :slightly_smiling_face: I watched it a few nights ago and keep forgetting to write my thoughts on here.

I don’t want to blur chunks of this, so, SPOILERS AHEAD.

I thought the last episode was really good (and the one before it, too). I was really holding my breath about the small kid at the swimming pool, and let it out when it was revealed the body wasn’t him but the kid we already knew about. John’s processing of that was really good. The opera bit afterwards really felt like everything was building to a climax. I liked the moment when Sara shot Connor, instead of being saved by one of the men.

The moment where Kreizler’s leaning over Japheth’s body (I had to look up all these names by the way!) was really beautiful. He almost looked personally wounded that he was slipping away - I guess he was, because he couldn’t get the answers he needed about why he killed.

By the time the episode finished it wasn’t all BOOM! there’s your conclusion! But I didn’t mind that. I was happy to see more of the characters after the big event because they’re what make that series. It almost felt a bit left open when they all ate together, interestingly. I wonder if they’d consider another series.

Oh yeah - the cat bit! Funny thing was, although you’d said episode 10, there was a bit with a dead cat under the floorboards in episode 9, so I thought, oh, it must be this episode then. So I relaxed, and then the cat-bashing happened in the next one :laughing: it was actually fine though - but I did cover my eyes for a bit, silly me.

Thanks for recommending it to me - I’m really glad I watched it.

1 Like

It was Hitchcock (see “The Man Who Knew To Much”) levels of thrilling!

And the fact that it didn´t come out of nowhere but was foreshadowed when she talked about learning to shoot at an early age (literal Chechov´s Gun, here!)

My favourite part was, where he asked him about his childhood and he just shrugs it off saying: “THAT is you think why I´m doing this? Pfftt!”

I liked the moral, if you could call it that. Some people you just can´t look inside. A bad childhood doesn´t have to make you bad just like a good one can´t guarantee that you´re good.

So no easy answers and classic textbook explanations that tie everything together. I really liked that it was handled that way.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely.

2ce7rt

3 Likes

Connor´s worst moment was when he was retconned in part 5. They really conned him there.

I think you’ll like this one

He has tons of other great stuff too.

2 Likes