Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? šŸ‘½

This isnā€™t a movie or a series but maybe this is interesting for you sci-fi-interested guys and girls:

1 Like

You win this for today!

I actually wanted to watch Altered Carbon right now, but got distracted by the forum so I have someone else watch it for me so he can tell me about it later.

2 Likes

Yeah, I also let a colleague of mine do my work at the momentā€¦

2 Likes

Okay Altered Carbon, give me more Matt Frewer and IĀ“m ready for renegotiations! That scene with him was great because heĀ“s great in everything. The first good actor to pop up in the show (and kind of a cyberpunk icon on top of it!).

Super and I mean SUPER warning about episode 10 for a brief moment between minutes 18 and 19. For everything else youĀ“re good to go. I think you might like it.

1 Like

Looked him up but donā€™t think I know him.

Uh oh. :crying_cat_face:?

1 Like

Max Headroom? HeĀ“s in a couple of things, but that might be what he is most famous for.

Yeah. Not as graphic as in Shape Of Water, though.

2 Likes

@milanfahrnholz I keep forgetting to say Iā€™ve watched the first two episodes of The Alienist. Itā€™s really good. I like the time period - very Jack the Ripper. Iā€™m curious to see how it develops. Where are you up to with it?

Since weā€™re in the sci-fi thread, Iā€™ve also started listening to The Hitchhikerā€™s Guide to the Galaxy unabridged audiobook, read expertly by Stephen Fry. How Iā€™ve never read any Douglas Adams is beyond me - the writing style is RIGHT up my street!

2 Likes

I think I wrote on Twitter a while ago that I loved it to the end and really recommend it. It also made me read up on certain little known parts of the history of New York around the turn of the century (also many characters are real persons too, like the former police chief played by Ted Levine and of course the then President to be Teddy Roosevelt). That whole very specific boy (dressed as girls and young enough to be easily mistaken for ones) prostiution thing was completly new to me and it definitly was a thing (I even found pictures of a few ā€œfairiesā€ as it seems they were called). There are police reports of raids on a certain brothel (very much like the one in the show) that indicate most horrible scenes. But it seems like it was tolerated for a long time (maybe also like in the show due to certain mafia and corrupt police force agreements).

I also liked all the actors and the way it is shot, really grim and dark.

It seems the book was a bestseller in the 90s. I hadnĀ“t heard of it before, though.

2 Likes

Oh right, I mustā€™ve missed that. That bodes well then.

I found that bit interesting too. I didnā€™t know that happened but thought itā€™s very likely.

Were ā€˜alienistsā€™ a real thing too?

Me neither.

1 Like

Funny you say that, because I hadnĀ“t heard that word either until reading Lovecraft who mentions that word a lot (and since many of his stories have connections to psychiatry it only makes sense).

So I would guess the intro text at the beginning of each episode is accurate.

Glad you enjoy it. Many of the upcomming episodes end on some serious WTF cliffhangers.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll look forward to those :slightly_smiling_face: and Iā€™ll watch out for episode 10.

2 Likes
1 Like

My favorite sci-fi TV series probably has to be TNG. But Iā€™m also partial to Battlestar Galactica (original) and Thunderbirds.

Favorite sci-fi movie ā€” Alien, probably. Then Metropolis. Terminator and the new Mad Max are also pretty good. Unless Jurassic Park counts as sci-fi? Then that goes at #2 instead of Metropolis because when I saw it in theater in '93 it was the most impressive movie Iā€™d ever seen.

Of course! What else? People sometimes categorise it as horror, too. I guess itĀ“s a bit of both.

1 Like

Fantasy?

1 Like

Hmm, never heard that. Though Jurrasic World seems to be getting close to that.

1 Like

@milanfahrnholz (and anyone else who watches it?) Iā€™m really enjoying The Alienist. Going to watch episode 9 tonight, so almost through it all.

Episode 8 was really gripping, following on from a very Victorian slap!, the doctorā€™s romantic moment with Mary and then, gasp! Maryā€™s murder. All on top of the main story drama, of course.

That all made it sound a bit soap-y, which it obviously isnā€™t, but those elements worked well amongst the grit and grime. I love the style of it so much. Iā€™m quite nervous about episode 10 with the cat ā€˜issueā€™, but glad Iā€™ve been warned.

1 Like

If it comforts you itĀ“s less graphic than in Shape Of Water or Re-Animator. So donĀ“t let it distract you too much from what else itĀ“s going on.

Things that gripped me the most where when one episode ended with them being led into the wrong track followed by a long zoom away from the latest vicitim on the foot of the Statue of Liberty.

Also that moment where the boy has to play the shill was profoundly disturbing. As is pretty much anything that involves this particular flavour of child prostiution in the show. Even more so that some of the most explict gore in my opinion.