Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? 👽

Yeah, that episode was hilarious, but the first one (can’t remember its title) was almost perfect: alien spaceship found by Mulder, military raid, all the actors of the previous seasons in their position…
Not to forget the last scene of this new season… what will happen next?

I really want to get excited about it but I’m struggling! I think they just tried to cram too much into six episodes. They probably should’ve made them all mythology episodes, or stuck to monster-of-the-week, instead of trying to do both. I’ll definitely be watching the new series though, and will probably re-watch season 11 beforehand. I’m sure if people are talking about it on here then that will help :grinning:

Everyone loved that episode not only for it´s humor but also because it was really original.

But many of the best of the old episodes were comedic episodes like Humbug, Bad Blood, Jose Chung´s or Clyde Bruckman. The Monster of The Week episodes also almost always worked. The thing about the mythology arc is I think, it used to be exciting at the very beginning but they struggled a bit to hold it up. Most of the new mythology episodes just repeated the old beats and the fact that the cigarette smoking man was even there (as nice as it was too see him again and I get why they did it) was a big problem. They can tell me everything about how he might have survied a rocketlauncher to the face but I rewatched the old final episode and they even show an x-ray vision shot of his skull blowing up.

Having said all that I´m really curious how they will even peak up after that one last episode, we got next year.

After Dreamland (brilliant for many other reasons, too), Bad Blood is probably my favourite comedy episode (I even wrote a fanfic episode in the same style, haha). Arcadia also scores highly for me (“Isn’t that right, honey bunch?” “That’s right, poopy head.”)

I think in the original run it worked really well combining the comedy eps with mythology, but that was over a longer stretch of time, and it all mixed together well to make the series what it was. I do agree that the mythology was dragged out a bit and there wasn’t much left to hold up, and led to rehashing old stuff and bringing back undeniably dead characters like you say. They would’ve done well to just end it at series 7 or so, as sad as I would’ve found that at the time.

I get that they (and the networks) had to ‘test the water’ by starting with six episodes, I just found it a bit all over the place.

Funnily enough there is few episodes that better portray Mulder and Scully´s relationship than this one. Also I couldn´t have picked a better actor than Luke Wilson to play such vastly different versions of the same character (the handsome sonnyboy in Scully´s version and the rambling doofus in Mulder´s version)

That would indicate ending on a high note, and wouldn´t that be better?

That´s what I saw it as, too. And I agree that the mix works better with more episodes. I also get it that they had to write in a kill switch in case it didn´t take off. I was just surprised it had to be such a drastic and apocalyptic one.

Yeah, with hindsight. But at the time I wouldn’t have known the rest would be downhill and would’ve been all like, ‘but you can’t end it NOW!’

Yeah, that’s a good point.

*another good episode :wink:

That was the William Gibson written one, right? Good one, but not very popular I believe.

Aye, and aye.

1 Like

X-Files was an exciting show. There were couple of others, in 90s. But not much. We now have maybe 100x or more shows to watch than back then. So it was a big deal to anyone. I remember us watching an episode in army back in '96, and people saying “the last showing of X-Files in army time”. So it wasn’t a nerdy thing, it was mainstream back then.

The new episodes: I liked them. They kept the same allure, and the fact that it was a thought out mini-series kept it fairly coherent. Although they shuffled the episodes a bit.

1 Like

I cannot stress this enough. Back in the 90s the X-Files were a big thing. I remember a couple of years when I told a friend how excited I was about reruns (that was before VOD and DVD avilabilty so reruns also used to be a bigger thing a few years before) and just shrugged it off “yeah but wasn´t that kinda stupid?” probably only having remembered some of the later more ridicioulous aspects. And it´s even more difficult to explain to people who haven´t lived through the 90s. Everybody watched it, and everybody watched it at the same time when it was on. So every morning after the evening the episodes aired it was a big talking point what happened in the latest episodes. You don´t really have that anymore, everyone is binge watching his own thing at his own leisure and speed and you can´t really talk about anything if you haven´t make sure everyone else has watched the exact same number of episodes than you. No one ever said “don´t spoil the newest X-Files” for me because we all saw it when it was on, and it was beautiful. I kinda miss that. But yeah regardless of how it went in later episodes, it used to be a big thing because there wasn´t much like it. I tried to get into the more current stuff like Supernatural or Fringe, and never managed to care for any of it.

1 Like

Captain Future. Leider gibt es keine ungeschnittene deutsche Fassung. Deutsche Fassung muss sein wegen der Musik.

Edit: sorry, I have no idea why I wrote in German.

1 Like

Ich kÜnnte schwÜren da wäre erst vor ganz kurzem eine DVD Box rausgekommen wo man zwischen der deutschen und der Japanischen Fassungen wählen kann, aber stimmt natßrlich ungekßrzt UND Christian Bruhn ist leider technisch unmÜglich.

For everyone who has no idea what we´re talking about, we´re talking about this:

The german versions were cut to simplfy the plots and make it more kid friendly (remove violence etc.) but a prolific german TV composer made one of the greatest TV soundtracks in history, and you just can´t have both the uncut versions and the great score we grew up with.

1 Like

I had German lessons '92-'95. I was fairly bad at it, and thought I remembered nothing of the language. But I understood what you wrote! Go figure.

1 Like

Since we´re bringing old animated shows into the mix anyone remember Odysseus/Ulysses 31? It was a french-canadian scifi anime that was Ulysses iiiiiiiiin spaaaaaaaaace!

german intro

english intro

Boy, do I love my childhood!

Wow, that theme is really good. Somebody should open an Off-topic thread about TV series theme songs and soundtracks.

Check this out:

This was done by the same dude who wrote the Heidi theme. HEIDI!!!

Jan Hammer would be all kinds of winning there. Also Tangerine Dream with Streethawk. Boy there is so much good stuff out there. And I recently found out that I´m physically incapable of listening to the Masters Of The Universe Theme without a huge smile on my face. Must be a sign that the kid in me is still there somewhere, and that´s what gets him out.

You can assume that I know almost all the sci-fi animated series of that period. I didn’t watch them all but I probably know a lot of them.

That’s great. In which year was this soundtrack composed?

In 1980.

Here is (I think) the full soundtrack

I think every episode used every one of these tunes at least once, so you bascially know the whole soundtrack when you´ve watched one episode.

Talking about sci-fi TV theme songs, here is one with a nice 70s vibe:

UFO’s was also good:

1 Like

You may like these older shows then:

Ugh, I hated that intro tune. No offense, but it was all over the map. What are you trying to convey, intro song? Is this serious drama, as the first few notes and serious poses seem to suggest, or is this whiz-bang with a dash of slapstick?

Almost as bad as the intro narrative for the first season of Starhunter: